12" or 14" iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rubin421, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Rubin421 macrumors member

I'm having a hard time trying to decide which to get: the 12" or 14" iBook? At first I was gonna go for the 12", as I was looking for something small, but the 14" really looks good, with a 60 gig hdd.
    Whatever model I choose, I'll add 512 megs of RAM and an iSight.
    I really don't know what to choose: on amazon.com, they're selling the 12" for $900 after rebate, and the 1.2 GHz 14" for $1199...
    What do you guys think? What would you do?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

the 12 is cute... if you're a midget. my hands are too big for it and i always feel like i'm going to hurt it.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If you are a student you'll have EDU discount.
    Buy a BTO (Build to order) 12" with 60GB hd.
    Add another 512 MB RAM stick afterwards (giving you 256+512 mb ram)

12" w/ 60GB HD : $966
    512MB ram: ~$100
    total: 1066 +vat

4. lfielder06 Guest

$966 plus tax is like 1045 you can get an external hard drive for the difference since amazon doesnt charge tax. For around 150 you can get a huge external hard drive and in the end you will get more space.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

this TOTALLY defeats the purpose of an all-in-one portable computer system. while it may save money, i doubt they want to carry all the extra gear around to have access to files... :rolleyes:

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

The 12" and the 14" have the same screen resolution, so I would go for the 12" and go BTO and up the hard disk capacity to 60GB, the money that you save I would invest in the Bluetooth module as you can't fit an internal one after you buy it. You may not need Bluetooth now, but for the small additional cost it is worth it, many cell phones now have bluetooth for synchronization. The rest of the money that you save could go towards iPod, software or more memory.

7. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I´m very happy with my 12". I ordered it from the online store. Upgraded it to 60G HD and bluetooth, added an extra 512g og RAM from Crucial.com. It´s a great machine, and so easy to carry around

8. StylePower macrumors newbie

I've got an 14" iBook, but had chosen a 12" if i should bought one now. But you have to look upon what you are going to use it to. I mainly use it at school and on holidays, and for my use, I think the 12" would had been better. If you are going to use it much as a stationary computer, it would been smart to buy the 14".

9. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I would up it to 80

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

If you need small then go with the 12" but if for any reason you keep looking at the 14" then go for the 14". Even though its the same res. I chose the 14" because I edit my cartoons and didn't want another display plugged into the iBook. However my girlfriend will use a 12" mostly for travel to and from her classes she teaches so the 12" becomes more important for what she needs.
    Get a large HD BTO if you get the 12" you will be happy that you did.
    Any Hoo good luck and enjoy your iBook--12" or 14" :D

11. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I would agree, I did not check on the biggest HD Apple allow in a BTO.

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I just want to reitterate what a lot of people have been saying... the 12" and 14" screen resolutions are the same... so you won't get any extra desktop space with the 14", things will just look bigger.

Also, the comments about the 12" being "good for a midget" becuase it is "cramped feeling" is crap. the keyboard and trackpad are the same size on the 12 and 14" iBooks. The 14" has the keyboard set into the base between the speakers, so there is some empty space around it, where the 12" has the keyboard right up to the edge of the computer. I'm 6'2, and have pretty big hands, and some fat fingers, and both systems are easily usable as daily main systems.

I would go with the 12" personally, and BTO a 60 or 80gb drive, whichever you feel is right for you, and add another 512mb of ram from a 3rd party vendor. You could also get the stock system from Amazon and buy a big 5200 rpm drive from a third party vendor and significantly improve performance (lose a little battey life though).

The 12" iBook is a great value and it is also so small and light that you will find yourself carrying it with you everywhere, which is the point, right?

Rob

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Get the 12, the 14 offers nothing in terms of features over the 12 (other than the SD option), and you will never notice the very slight speed difference.

14. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Personally i cant do the 12inch thing im used to a 15 inch view sonic flat screen monitor with 1024x768 res and whenever i get on one of those 12inch notebooks they just feel to small to me and cramped. I would recomend the 14 inch with a hard drive suitable to your needs but if you plan on working a lot with imovie and making dvd's then you better get the bigger hard drive as dvd's take up a lot of space and obviously, do osx some justice and upgrade the ram :D

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Your 15" Viewsonic, the 14", and 12" iBook all have a resolution of 1024x768. There is no difference no matter what you go for.

16. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Theres no difference between 15 inches and 12 inches? I beg to differ my friend. If you are like me and watch dvd's on your computer then you enjoy a larger screen :D Now heres my 10 cents and my 2 cents are free

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, my firend, I am telling you that in terms of how much you can fit on the screen, there is no difference what-so-ever. Everything on your 15" will be the same as on the 12" iBook screen only bigger. You cannot fit anymore on your screen than someone on a 12" (or 14") iBook can.

18. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Agreed, but i like the bigger screen because it makes the movie more enjoyable i feel like i dont have to focus down on the screen as much i can more just sit back and watch it but thats just me :D

19. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

I looooooove having things look bigger on the 14". Then again, I spend maaaaany hours in front of my laptop. If I didn't, I'd probably go 12".

I'd get the biggest HD you can. Big HD = big difference when it comes to doing stuff on the go (video, photos, music). The more I use my iBook the more I do w/ it.

In fact I'll probably move up to a dual G5 soon. Whatever you get, it will rock. These are great freaking machines.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

14"

I have to say-I bought a 14" iBook because the screen was bigger. I realize the resolution is the same, but sorry-the screen is still bigger. I find I can actually do design work on it and be fairly comfortable. I found myself straining on the 12". I use mine daily as well as my desktop. Maybe it's that it's just too much to go from a 20" screen to a 12" screen, but the 12" is just too small for me.

21. Rubin421 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys.
    I think I'm gonna go with the 12" model with a 60GB hard disk and built-in bluetooth from Apple.com, and I'll add 512MB from Outpost.com...

22. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Welcome to the Family. :)

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sounds good, this might be of interest to you ;) :)

24. Rubin421 thread starter macrumors member

25. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I have always thought this to myself, But never had anywhere to say it. The 14" iBook looks very weird. Since it isn't a wide-screen the handrest thingy next to the trackpad is overly long. (since it has to cover the screen as it folds down) The 12" iBook would be the only iBook i would purchase. And at the same resolution that makes the 14" look that much worse.

kyle