12" or 14" iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sjcaguy, Nov 27, 2003.

1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

Nov 24, 2003
    I think this might warrant it's own thread.

Is the only gripe people have with the 14" iBook that the larger screen doesn't provide any higher resolution, just bigger pixels? Or is there another concern about the larger monitor?

I'm about to place an order for a 14'' iBook with 933mHz, 640mb, 60GB HD. Should I even consider the smaller one? The small monitor looks too small to me when I am in-store, but it IS more portable.

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Well, I own a 12" PB and think the screen size is fine. I have a 21" monitor on my desk, and I rarely use it. I find the screen size adequate for most uses, and certainly worth the portability. A guy in my class has a 14" iBook, and it just looks big. If you can sacrifice the added speed of the 14", which isn't much, I'd just get the 12". Or even better, buy a 12" PB if you're gonna spend the money on a 14" iBook.
  3. riwanami macrumors member

Sep 4, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I think both 12inch and 14inch iBooks are great notebooks, especially with the new G4 versions. IMO, the 12inch looks nicer and is easier to carry around. Too bad that there's a 200Mhz difference between the 12inch and the top of the line 14inch iBooks.

But if you plan on carrying around your iBook everywhere, definitely get the 12 inch, max out the RAM and get an external monitor/keyboard/Mouse/extra power adaptor for your desk. (consider Bluetooth as well if you do the BTO so you can get the bluetooth mouse/keyboard which will involve less plugging in and out whenever you return to your desk.)
  4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    i've had both a 12" and a 14" ibook. I liked them both a lot.

there is nothing wrong with the bigger screen on the 14". the pixels are bigger, but don't look blurry or anything. The resolution is still the same as is used on most 15" desktop LCDs (and the 15" imac). I found the 14" easier on the eyes, but the 12" was very nice to carry around. Go with your gut preference.
  5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    i hv a 12 in ibook...the new g4..and its simply fabulous....i carry it around in my backpack....so need for laptop case..which i hate anyways...and the screen duznt look small at all...infact teh notebook is quite pretty...