12" or 14" iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by m4c, Apr 5, 2004.

1. m4c macrumors newbie

I've decided to go with the iBook. I'm very excited to order, but first I'd like to here from an apple ibook user..

12" 800MHz or 14" 933MHz? ---> both will have 640MB

Will I notice a big difference in speed between the two? Like I've posted earlier this iBOok will be used to run apps like Photoshop, Ill., Qrk, Dreamweaver...Thing is I like the portability of the 12" iBook, and I can use the extra cash for bluetooth, and Airport Extreme.

But for the extra $200 the bigger screen and faster proccessor may be worth it. Do you think the extra 133MHz will benefit me more running these apps, or is it minute and my cash can be better spent else where?

BTW I know the PowerBook updates are comming soon...do you think this means an iBook update as well? Faster or more RAM? Should I wait and see?

Thanks for your time.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

get the 12". the money is better spent on an airport ext. card.

or push further all the way and get a 12" PB with twice the L2 cache.

do note that 14" iBook screen still runs at 1024x768, just like 12".

3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i think the money is better spent on a RAM upgrade to 640 that'll really help out as opposed to the extra 133mhz
    the 14 inch is a bigger screen though the same amount of pixels check them out and see which one you like better personally i like the 12 inch and don't need the screen blown up an extra 2 inchs

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

as always - the mo RAM, the mo better.

If you are doing graphic apps like Photoshop and Dreamweaver, you may seriously want to consider the 14". Dreamweaver gets very cluttered on smaller screens, you won't be able to preview how a page will look to the "average" user on the internet (some pages optimized for 15", some for 17").

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I cannot stress this enough: GET THE 14inch!

Performance is MUCH MUCH BETTER.

For only $200 more you get a bigger screen and a faster processor. It is by far the best deal in the iBook line.

The extra power really makes a difference for games like Warcraft 3. Frame rates are MUCH better on the 933.

As is the application speed.

6. m4c thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm leaning toward a 12" iBook w/ 640MB, 40GB, BlueT., AppleCare, and AE & Station. This comes to about $1650 with my student discount. I like the smaller screen, it just seems like the perfect iBook.

I'm not buying the iBook for games, so do I really need the faster processor? Or should I go with the 14" for longevity..do I really need the 133MHz for Dreamweaver and Photoshop? I'm itchin' for the 12" but I will go 14" if it really makes a difference.

Any 12" graphic designers in here?

Thanks again.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

12" and 14" iBooks have the same screen size, in terms of resolution. they have the same number of pixels and apps that look cluttered in 12" will look equally cluttered in 14". don't buy the 14" to get more space on the monitor - get the 14" if 12" pixels are too small and hard for you to see.

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Nice choice...Just one point, if you wanna save some money ...then instead of airport base station...get a cheaper router from linksys or netgear..they perform just fine....u can even go for more hd with the money...and yeah..dont buy the ram from apple....
    cheers

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Also, you don't have to buy AppleCare now - wait until 11 months of your complementary year of free service have passed, and then buy it when you have more cash.