Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
A friend of mine who is an Apple Tech poo poo'd the idea of me buying an old school 15" Apple LCD Disply -- with the see through plastic and adc connector thing -- because he said that my 1.5ghz Powerbook 12" won't be able to drive it? That this video card is not enough power or something?

Is that true? I just like the old school look of that display...

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
Your PowerBook can drive the display. If you get an adapter. Your friend has been trained to sell brand new Apple displays. ;)

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
CyberB0b said:
Your PowerBook can drive the display. If you get an adapter. Your friend has been trained to sell brand new Apple displays. ;)

Guess that's not a real "friend" of mine, then... because that's exactly what happened -- thx

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
California said:
A friend of mine who is an Apple Tech poo poo'd the idea of me buying an old school 15" Apple LCD Disply -- with the see through plastic and adc connector thing -- because he said that my 1.5ghz Powerbook 12" won't be able to drive it? That this video card is not enough power or something?

Is that true? I just like the old school look of that display...

When he says power he is not talking about the video card being capable of it. The ADC connector provides power for the display in the same connector as the video. You can use one of those display's with any computer that has DVI but need the ADC - DVI adapter which also provides power for the display. Add the cost of the display to the cost of the adapter and it becomes a pretty expensive 15" LCD. I use one of the even earlier Apple 15" because it just uses VGA plus it has video in which I use with my xbox etc. It also has a really nice fully adjustable stand that has tilt swivle and height adjustment. If you want to go old school get one of those, if you really want one of the ADC displays at least get a 20, 22 or 23" that way the adapter isn't such a huge waste of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.