12" PB & 23" HD cinema Display questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gallagb, Aug 15, 2004.

1. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    ok i've got both
    12" PB G4, 1.33, 1.25 ram...etc
    and the new 23" display

a few questions
    anyone else have this setup?
    do you notice that when u watch DVD's on full screen mode it can be jerky @ full resolution? do u change it? am i doing something wrong?
    does my video card really not have enough power 2 run the screen ?
    (i know apple says it does- but u know what i mean)

would it be better w/ a 20"?
    (anyone have this setup?)

just some feedback
    i've had the monitor for 2 weeks now- tinkered w/ all sorts of different things w/ it- i'm very happy w/ it...etc- just courious if this is just a 'me' thing- or if other people have the prbm and how they get around it...etc
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Are you running any other apps in the background while playing the DVD? Also, if you want to run at the full res on the 23", you should disable your other monitor so that you have the full VRAM available to the 23".
  3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I have the rev. B 12" and the 20" cinema display. None of the problems that you're describing at all. The 20" is less demanding than the 23", but on the other hand, I have half the VRAM. It seems odd to me that you should be experiencing any jerkiness watching DVDs.
  4. gallagb thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    a few things
    typically i have most app's off
    might have aim up or something
    typically i have the other screen off- but i can check that

and the jerkyness isn't that jerky
    just occasionally
    like randomly a frame will jerk a bit
    i've only tried 2 movies- and one had it for sure- the other i just re-set the resolution to be a bit smaller before checking-

i'll check some more- just kinda asking round
    (might have been that particular DVD...etc)
  5. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2004
    Just as crazyeddie said, check to make sure that all the vram is going to your display. To check this, go to About This Mac -> More Info... -> PCI/AGP Cards -> Then check the under vram (in use) in the monitor info.
    Also make sure the DVD is clean. Is the same DVD still jerky when you watch it on the pb's screen? If it isn't, maybe the graphics card can't handle the large resolution too well.
  6. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    i don't have your same setup, but similar, and a similar problem.

i have the rev. c 12" (1.33, 512 ram) connected to the old 17" lcd (1280x1024). i run it with the 12" closed, so the 17" gets all the vram, and i notice when i am playing a dvd in windowed mode (it can be any size [command] + 1,2, or 3) and using adium, whenever i send a message, it skips a frame, very slight, but you can definitely notice it. it drives me CRAZY. then again i am running my dvd's off the hard disk, i don't remember experiencing that when running off the dvd itself (tho i don't remember using adium and running an actual dvd either).

any suggestions other than repair permissions, run cron scripts?
  7. gernb macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2002
    for what it's worth...i've got the same set up.

dvd playback skips like crazy...not the subtle jumps you noticed.

powerpook screen opened or closed, it doesn't matter

every mode skips to the point that it just isn't watchable...sort of like bad reception on a television.

should i be expecting better? i'm a bit concerned because i was planning to edit in final cut with this set up, but i am wondering if that will prove impossible.