12" PB 512mb Ram ? Where to find cheap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SkudShark, Jun 5, 2004.

1. SkudShark macrumors member

SkudShark

Does the ram really matter if it says "power book ram" ?
    I mean, what can be the difference? because I wanna go get a new 12" Powerbook but I will never pay $270 for a stick of 512 from apple, let alone $170 from kingston's website.

I have a stick of kingston valueram pc2700 accessable to me right now, will it work in the new PB's?

Also would it be wise to wait for WWDC or is it safe to actually buy a PB now? :)

Oh yea, and is it possible to buy Virex seperately from the .mac promotions?

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

no seperate virex.

buy now, G5 Powerbook is not coming out this month, next month, or for a long time after.

make sure it is SO (small outline, or notebook) ram, etc. etc. Why are you buying a 512 stick may i ask? I use genuine apple ram, even tho it's a rip off, because it's guarenteed to work. i don't feel like having to second guess every manufacturer and scour the web to ensure the stick of ram i'm buying is compliant with my powerbook, I want to know it was MADE for my powerbook...i already blew a fat wad on the laptop, what's an extra $100 over the price of the competition for peace of mind?

i believe samsung makes their ram...but i could also be way off.

3. SkudShark thread starter macrumors member

SkudShark

hrmm

Well its $270 to get another 512, I want 768 because I will be doing flash/photoshop on it, and whatnot.

But $270 for a 512mb stick? I mean, thats just rediculous, I knot kingston makes some that they dubbed "powerbook" ram, and Kingston is a great brand, but they still want $180 for it.I'm just curious if anyone has used the Kingston basic valueram for laptops, that you can get for $100.

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Your RAM wasn't MADE for the Powerbook. Apple source major RAM manufacturers for appropriately spec'd DIMMs, then buy from the cheapest and jack the price up $100. Apple change suppliers as pricing fluctuates.

SkudShark as long as the RAM meets or exceeds Apples specs it will work in the Powerbook just make sure you buy from a reputable manufacturer, I'd recommend Crucial's memory selector. They'll guarantee it will work and you'll save a lot compared to Apple's prices.

EDIT: Crucials current price $116.99

5. kidA macrumors regular

Crucial
    Always Crucial. It's also guaranteed to work. if it doesn't they'll replace it free of charge. And hey, 512 MB for only $116.99.

The RAM Apple sells for their machines is made by Samsung but is, in fact, no different than other high-quality RAM. It's not made specifically for Apple's machines. Technically, you should be fine with any PC2700 200 pin SO-DIMM.

Just stay away from cheap no-name manufacturers, there are huge differences in RAM quality. Crucial (which is part of the Micron corporation) is one of the best. I've heard that Apple does occasionally use Crucial RAM.

6. GiantsFan macrumors member

www.crucial.com . i got my 512MB RAM stick for my 12" pb there. i looked on these forums before i bought my pb, and bunch of people mentioned crucial. its like $120 somethin or around there somewhere.

7. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Very true, my iMac came with Crucial RAM.

SkudShark about the ValueRAM, it'll most likely work Kingston is a good quality RAM. I'm pretty sure the Powerbook requires Low Profile SO-DIMMs so I'd check that out first.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

As long as you use PC2100 (or higher) SO-DIMM 200 pin RAM, and it states this clearly, then it'll work.

Crucial/Micron is good. I actually heard that Apple buys from Kingston, not Crucial, but I can't say for sure. Anyone who buys RAM from Apple hasn't done their research, that's all. I'm sure many people don't.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...PowerBook+G4+1GHz+(12-inch+Display)&submit=Go

They even separate the RAM by category, so unless you're a buffoon and pick the wrong laptop (ie: not just the wrong Alu Powerbook, but wrong brand as well :p ) , you'll be fine.

Crucial is good, Kingston is good. Once you buy RAM above a certain quality level, you're fine. They either make great RAM, or crap RAM nobody should ever buy. There isn't much in between.

9. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Apple OFTEN buys from Samsung. But I would suggest Crucial as well.

10. Balooba macrumors member

RAM is RAM

I always buy the cheapest RAM, but only if the dealer clearly states that they'll accept returns in case the RAM doesn't work. So far after 6 purchases I have never had a memory fail or not work. I have bought from 1800-memory, newegg, crucial, and cannot remember the others. Usually I do a search on dealram.com or a similar price-comparing site. My tip for buying memory is:
    1. Know what kind of memory you need,
    2. Get the cheapest

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Just did a 1gb PC2700 for my PB 12" rev B from OCW and could not be happier. If the money is there skip the 512 and go to the 1gb.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^How much did you pay, and what brand?

I was waiting for Crucial to drop their price on the 1GB. Its around $450 right now, which is quite steep for me.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

14. bannor macrumors member

Anyone know if there is a Canadian Etailer that sells reasonably priced notebook ram (for 12" IBook)? Looking for a 512 MB stick.

Thanks,
    Dennis