12" PB & Airport - battery life problem?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by djbombjack, Feb 14, 2003.

1. djbombjack macrumors member

Feb 2, 2003
    Crooklyn, NY
    Now, is it just my machine (maybe a faulty battery?), or is it normal for my battery life on my new 12" PB to drain rapidly?

I use airport all the time, and by current estimates put my battery life at around an hour to an hour and a half.

I know this can't be right, but then I figured it might be because of the extra juice needed for Airport.

Anyone out there have any ideas?
    Or should I be on to Apple about a replacement battery?
  2. 3777 macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2002
    Re: 12" PB & Airport - battery life problem?

That's about the same as my comcrap laptop, but Apple claims 3-4 hours for the Powerbook I think?
  3. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    first off, expect your battery life to be less than apple says by at least 10% on the lowest settings you can go. Experiment with the energy saver control panel, change your brightness down on your screen when you dont need it at 100%. Then visit http://www.macosxhints.com and search for power saving tips there, they have a bushel
  4. dkeninitz macrumors regular

Feb 16, 2003
    Germantown, MD
    I just got a new PowerBook 15" a week ago and I'm getting 3 1/2 - 4 hours per charge with the processor and display at full blast. I have an Airport card and use it almost constantly when the machine is on.

The user manual exhorts you to "calibrate" your battery by running your machine almost all the way down before you recharge it the first time, after which you can recharge at any interval.

If you did the calibration and you're still only getting 1 1/2 - 2 hours I'd take it back and ask for a new battery.