12"pb and new 20" display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by budaapple, Oct 12, 2004.

1. budaapple macrumors regular

Need help here! I have attached my sweet new 20" display to the mini DVI of my 12" PB. I now want to use this 20" monitor and my BT Keyboard and mouse as my main screen with the laptop closed. I thought there was a way to keep the computer running when closed. I have checked system prefs and found nothing. Does anybody know how this can be done. Thanks

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

Info can be found here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88064

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

dont they say you shouldnt run it with the lid closed due to heat issues?

4. budaapple thread starter macrumors regular

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i don't know where people get this idea. closed-lid operation, at least for powerbook, is an official feature, touted by apple, as evidenced by KB article quoted before.

6. Zaty macrumors 65816

I think this applies only to iBooks. I'm not even sure if you can force an iBook to run with its lid closed.

7. gernb macrumors regular

I've got the same config. FWIW what I always do is plug the 20" in, close the pbook lid so it goes to sleep, unplug a USB cable and plug it back in to wake it up. Then, once it's awake and the desktop is on the 20" I open the pbook lid. That way the card is only driving the external monitor and I don't have to worry at all about heat building up on the pbook screen.

I have noticed that DVD playback on the 20" is really bad in full screen. The image tears like crazy. If I mouse up and make the menu bar show up at the top of the screen, play back is fine, but once it disappears, it goes back to tearing.

8. im_noahselby macrumors member

What rev PB do you own? 1Ghz or 1.33Ghz, because the second one has twice the video ram and a better processor. I've heard of this issue before on the 1Ghz, I'd just like to know if it is something that also happens on rev c models?

Noah

9. gernb macrumors regular

I've got the latest version 12" 1.33 64MB VRAM

Still having a problem with tearing.