12" pb and world of warcraft?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Diatribe, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    What do you guys think, would it be playable or would I have to reduce the details a lot. I know it's still in beta and this might be subject to changes but I need a laptop now and I'm still debating on whether I should buy the 12" or 15" and one thing I definitely want to be able to do is play this game without having it to turn it down to the lowest details.
    And just to "make sure or be safe" I don't want to buy the bigger 15".
    So what do you guys think? Especially those who are running the beta... what performance do you get and what are your systems?
  2. bux macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2004
    I don't know much about the performance, but from what I've heard it should work fine on a pb.
    Regarding the 12" or 15", I personally think that 12" is too small but maybe that's just me.
  3. neonart macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    I think the new 12" Powerbook should be a great little machine. I have a 1Ghz 12" with the 32MB Card. It does very good for a compact laptop. I play Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six 3, and Halo on it when I'm mobile and it does pretty good. I run these at native res 1024x768 with detail fairly high. (Halo is the worst- but that's not the machines fault.)

With the new model being 330 Mhz Faster and with 32 MB of extra VRAM it should be really nice. Also Blizzard Games have a reputation for running very well on the Mac.

The way I see it, you'd have to get the 1.5 Ghz 15" with the 128MB 9700 to see a huge improvement. The price difference is just a little steep.

Plus you have to remember that the 15" and 17" have widescreen resolutions. That means some games will not run native resolution and if they do, you have to push more pixels than a 12" with 1024x768.
    Like the previous post said, the downside is that the 12" screen can be a little small for some games. I find it OK for R6-3 and Halo, but it's harder to see things in Ghost Recon when the landscapes are huge and open.

It would be awesome if Apple offered a BTO 12" with a 1.5 G4 and 128MB Video card. Or a 14" Powerbook with those specs...