12" PB & Apple Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by herrmill, Aug 7, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Jacksonville, FL, Shanghai, China & NW 11/12
    Is there any way to use the 12" PB to the Cinema displays through an VGA adaptor port?

2. macrumors regular

There is

Someone out there does make a VGA to ADC converter box. I forget the name, but I'm sure a quick search of the forums would find it for you.

It's quite expensive as I recall, $300 or so? Something up there.

3. thread starter macrumors member

4. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Ughh.. no. Apple makes a DVI to ADC adapter and it's $99. Still a little expensive, but better.

irmongoose

5. macrumors regular

Won't work

12" Powerbook only has VGA out, NO DVI output...

6. thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I'll just hold out for the new 15" PB so I can use it with the display.

7. macrumors newbie

Gefen makes the adapter

Gefen makes the VGA to DVI adapter. Check it out @ http://www.gefen.com/index.jsp

But it is close to $300... probably just better to buy a 15 inch PB.

8. macrumors 604

iJon

its gonna cost you about 300 dollars, i would just get yourself a formac monitor, it will work natively and it still looks appealing to the eye with its similarities to the apple display.

iJon

9. macrumors newbie

VGA to ADC

Here's the URL for the Gefen VGA to ADC Conversion Box...

Link to Gefen Website

You can order directly from their site, or from any of the major Mac mail order places. If you already have a nice Cinema Display, then it may be worth it, but the quality isn't as good as using a DVI to ADC adapter. However, I have used this and it works well.

If you don't yet have a PowerBook, you may want the 15" or wait for the 12" to get a DVI port (who knows when that might happen?). If you don't have the monitor either, then you can always get a flat panel screen with both VGA and DVI inputs. That way you can still get the 12", which as you know is a sweet computer!