12" PB cd problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Solafaa, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Hello

My GF just got a brand new 12" PB as a gift and i tested it for and all seems to be working fine. When i insreted a cd to rip t it gave me this scraching sound, nothing happend to the CD and it ripped well but the sound bothers me. The sound comes when you insert the cd or dvd its lats like 2-4 secs of somethig scraching. I dont have that problem with my 17" PB or my friends 15" PB.

She got it from ebay so i would like to know if somethign is wrong with the laptop.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Is this scratching the cd rubbing agains the top or bottom of the drive opening while its being inserted. Or does it make this sound when it is starting to spin up. My PB makes two, one second scatching like sounds which is the drive gives the CD a spin after putting it in the drive, which I believe is ment to make sure the CD is seated correctly. Then it spins up and doesn't make that scratching like sound.

Is yours a constant 2-4 seconds during actual spin up, or during that test spin that it does this scratching like sound.

3. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

When i first insert the cd i think when it first spins there is this scraching sound, it does away in like 2 secs. Everything works but should i be worried? should i contact the seller? but he said it was new and not opened and when i got it it seemed that way.

4. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I hear this sond when im resting my palm beside the trackpad dont feel bad my new Powerbook is a piece of junk and it was brand new from Apple