12" PB crashes when using zoom.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andiwm2003, Dec 9, 2004.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

hi,

a friend of mine has a 12"PB (new) and when she uses the zoom feature from mac preferences the pb crashes. she brought it to the apple store, they confirmed the problem and tested one of their own. it had the same problem. so they think its a production problem.

has anybody a similar problem? how did you/apple fix it?

andi

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I've got a rev c 12inch PB and just tried turning the zoom on and off, even played around with it for a couple seconds. No problems here. Maybe you could be a little more specific with the machine config, what you were doing to make it crash, etc.

BEN

3. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, it is a stock pb 12" rev C superdrive 10.3.6 with 256MB ram. whenever she switches on the zoom function and actually tries to zoom (i don't remember the keyboard shortcut now, command + or so) she gets a kernel panic and has to reboot. that is what she wrote about giving it to the apple store. they had sent it in, she got it back with the same problem + a broken modem. now they send it in again.

"the powerbook, ugh. it is now an official "looper",
    which is what apple calls a computer that has been
    back to them more than once. like i said, it came back
    with the same problem, plus a broken modem. when i
    took it back to the apple store, they checked another
    12"powerbook and it also had the same video problem,
    apparently the all do, although nobody knew it
    obviously, or they wouldn't have replaced the main
    logic board. so i am stuck with that until apple
    decides to write a patch for it, which is not good
    news. the "genius bar" guy changed the resolution to a
    lower setting and that makes the text bigger, he said
    just don't use the zoom."

could it be a simple software issue and the genius is just clueless?
    how many people have that problem and is it limited to a certain configuration (256 MB or 10.3.6)?

thanks for any input,

ANDI

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Just tried the zoom option on my 12" Rev. B, running 10.3.6 and with 768 MB of RAM. No problems here.

(There were a few slight graphical anomalies when using exposé when zoomed, but no kernal panics or anything of that sort.)

Oh, and the zoom command (once enabled in the Universal Access panel) is command-alt-+.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

6. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well i guess the genius did that. they should always do that first because it gives them time to think about the problem.

i don't know but i would expect that they did repair permission, reboot, fchk before they replaced the logic board the first time.

andi

7. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

o.k. she got the PB back and the problem is still there. here are some details:

she turns zoom on in system prefs/universal access and selects the zoom option "image moves only when pointer reaches an edge".

when she zooms, the pointer starts scrambling the image, messes up the fonts and eventually there is a kernel panic.

she's running 10.3.4 with a 12" as it is out of the box, all standard. to me it looks more like a software issue and i told her to update to 10.3.6. i just wonder whe the genius at the apple store didn't try that and why they replaced twice the logic board before updating the system.

strange.

andi

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hey hey hey!

You never know what could go wrong. I suggested that because that is, more often than not, what causes a Mac to break.
    And it is "fsck", not "fchk", at least in this version of UNIX. fsck stands for "File System Check".

I was just offering a solution...
    Did you/they run any of the cron scripts?

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Ok, well, I did that whole "image moves only when pointer reaches an edge" and I DID get the scrambled image. But that's it, I played with it for like 10 minutes (the dedication!) to no avail. I just can't get it to kernel panic. I'm on 10.3.5 now, so I bet her next step should be to upgrade and see what that does.

BEN

10. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

in her case the text gets unreadable and the kernel panic show up after 2 min or so. aside of that she never got a kernel panic

btw: some other poster asked me if thet run the cron files. never heard of that. what is it?

thanks for your help. it's good to know that there is some problem. if the kernel panic is only on her mac then the problem may be independent of the zooming.

andi