12" PB for sale...what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chasealicious, May 6, 2005.

1. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

My sister's Powerbook recently went through some trauma. A friend spilled a drink on the computer - NO! We immediately turned it off and took it to an Apple Authorized Reseller & Service Center. We got the computer cleaned out, and thankfully it still works.

The computer still works perfectly, but the display is unbearably dim. The Apple Tech says that the inverter board (piece of hardware that sends the video signal to the display) is blown, and that's what's causing the dim display. It's a $50 part that is easily replaceable, and he says the computer will work fine once that's installed. Even without that part, the computer still functions perfectly when hooked up to an external display.

The spiller offered to replace the machine, and did. I had the hard drive removed from the PowerBook so I could put it into an enclosure and keep my data.

Bottom line, we have a 12" PowerBook G4 1 Ghz / 256 MB / Combo / AE ready that needs a hard drive. To use it as a notebook, it needs a $50 part. Without it, it functions perfectly with an external display.

How much can I expect to sell this machine for?

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

A couple hundred. That's all damaged machines go for. My guess would be $300.

3. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Why not just get the part replaced and put the original hard drive back in? You'll get a lot more money for it.

4. raincoat macrumors member

raincoat

Fair Play

Hang on..

If the spiller replaced the PB, surely it would be fair to give the damaged one to them, inc. a hard drive.

Any money recieved from the sale should be given to the spiller if they replaced the PB!
    :D

5. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

it is worth way more than a couple hundred dollars. If you post that machine on ebay you will probably get upwards of $700. I just sold my broken ibook on ebay - it was the 800mhz G3 model with 384 RAM and Airport, but the LCD was cracked so badly that you couldn't read a thing. To repair that LCD would cost at least $300. I got $500 for my 2 1/2 year old, broken machine.

6. kevinuaa macrumors member

I agree. You really should give the PB to the seller and let him/her do what they want with the machine.

7. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

ok

had the same issue as spiller but it was my bro who did the damage anyway i got £390 for my 15' 1.25ghz backlight pb and i supplied him with a new dc inboard so broken machines dont go for that much and personally i would not buy a broken machine too much hassle :)

no offense intended :)