12" PB harddrive noicey??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nybombers142, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Nybombers142 macrumors member

I heard that the harddrive on rev c 12"Powerbooks is really loud, is this true? Compared to a 12 PB rev B or 12 iBook?

2. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

Dunno compared to anything else as 12" Rev C. is the only one I've ever heard but you can clearly hear the crunching as it goes through data, but I think more mem would help as the one had just 256MB when I heard it.
    Reminds me of old mechanically beared drives, aren't the laptop drives made with modern liquid bearing?

3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I haven't noticed any difference in HD noise between my old version A 12" PB and my current version C 12" PB, except I can hear it more on the new computer because the old one was often drowned out by fan noise.

the fan turns on less often in the 1.33GHz model.

4. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I think it is a little louder than the rev. B 12" PowerBook, but as others have said, it's not loud in an absolute sense. Any increase in hard drive noise is probably offset by the fact that the rev C seems to run quite a bit cooler than the rev B, and the fans hardly ever come on...less so than on my old rev B.

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

only when accessing the HD is it noticeable. it can get kind of noisy, but that depends upon your definition of noisy. it hardly ever spins loud enough for me to hear it, and the fan only comes on while gaming on my 17" Apple LCD by mini DVI.