Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
I'm considering either an iCurve or a powered cooling plate with fans for my 12" PB. My understanding is that it runs very hot (although this hasn't been my experience so far) and I'm planning to hook it up to a Dell 20" monitor soon which I'm sure won't help.

Obviously, the iCurve offers some storage space underneath, but how are the cooling benefits compared to a cooling plate with fans?

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Hmm...

munckee said:
...My understanding is that it runs very hot (although this hasn't been my experience so far)...

So you don't have a problem with heat, but you want something to cool your machine down? Why?

Sorry. I'm not big on unneccessary peripherals. Of course, I'm one of those guys who prefers a trackpad to an external mouse too. I'm some kind of hi-tech reductionist Ludite.

Also, I'm not sure that adding the external monitor will really change things much.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
hayduke said:
So you don't have a problem with heat, but you want something to cool your machine down? Why?

Sorry. I'm not big on unneccessary peripherals. Of course, I'm one of those guys who prefers a trackpad to an external mouse too. I'm some kind of hi-tech reductionist Ludite.

Also, I'm not sure that adding the external monitor will really change things much.

I've read in a bunch of places that an external monitor will cause the PB to heat up and work harder, thus running the fan all the time. Just trying to protect my investment and thought about this question now. I probably won't buy either until I have the monitor and see how it works, but it never hurts to ask.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Go with the iCurve, i have one on my 15" 1.67 and it makes the world of difference. After about 7 hours on my PowerBook i can hold my hand on the underneath. Without the space underneath, it would be extremely stupid to hold your hand on it.

It's probably considerably cheaper than a fan plate anyway.

Rich.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
If you get an iCurve, get it from Amazon. It's like $27 shipped with no tax. :eek:

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Plus, the iCurve will give you a nice little 'display' for your powerbook when it's plugged into the display. =)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
fatsoforgotso said:
It's probably considerably cheaper than a fan plate anyway.

Surprisingly, the fan plates are available for ~$15 online. However, it sounds like the iCurve is the way to go, so it may win out regardless.

Thanks for the input guys! :cool:

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
iCurve

iCurve all the way, i own two. One at home one for the office. I left my ibook on all day and is only slightly warm underneath. When i get my 12" PB in a few days im sure it will be similar.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Both of my Al PBs are on iCurves on my computer desk. Even though iCurves will increase the air flow under PBs, the machines still run hot especially if you are running them with clam shell mode with ACD. So, I have a small clip on fan on my desk to give extra air flow on my desk. It works like a charm as it cools down the PBs as the fan blows air to them directly. I bought a well built clip on fan for this; if you buy a cheap one, it won't last too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.