12" Pb. Keerrr Chunk!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by garzy, Feb 12, 2003.

1. garzy macrumors regular

just got my new powerbook but the mouse click below trackpad is really annoying. it clicks down then pops back up really loud. i dont think its sitting evenly. is there anyway to make it so it isnt so noisy??? its driving me nuts

2. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Whack it!

If it's not sitting correctly, press down firmly on the mouse button. You make hear a click or something like that and it should "snap" back into place. If it keeps hapening, bring it to an Apple store and get it looked at.

3. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

I have an iBook (the same body) and it makes a slight clicking sound, but not loud. Is it as loud as the apple optical mouse? If so, its too loud. Its not supposed to be silent though.

4. jiholl macrumors member

keerrr Chunk

Hi, I was trying a 12 PB in a Compusa and noticed that the clicker on the trackpad was "weird." the right side semed to click down too far and stick a bit, it popped back up but not the best quality...that may be what you are experiencing...I imagine it may be a Rev A kind of thing??

5. moby1 macrumors 6502

RE: 'Clicker'

It's the weak point of the 12" PB's design.

It does get better as the clicker seats itself a bit more with use. I've had mine over a week now and it's improved a bit with use. Still, not as neat as the one on the TiBook.

6. garzy thread starter macrumors regular

went to the apple store (had to buy an airport card) and they told me that they would send it to a repair center to secure it better, bu thta it would take 7-10 days. i couldnt do this, as i have to use this machine for school. i guess ill just have to wait until it falls off or something.

btw while i was at the apple store, i asked for a key or something to open the the battery compartment so i could slip in my airport card right there. the kid working LAUGHED at me, said he wouldnt give me any tools, but that he could install it for $30. i went home and used a coin...

7. MUrhino macrumors regular

MUrhino

Greedy little punk!!! I too like the design of the mouse button on the Ti much better than the 12". It's unrivaled...hopefully everything will work out for you.

8. garzy thread starter macrumors regular

well its not his $30. apple charges that outrageous fee

9. MUrhino macrumors regular

MUrhino

I realize this and probably put too much blame on the employee, but c'mon....he laughed at the guy for asking to borrow a key. I'd be a little hacked....but then again, I'd also have my car keys on me...

10. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

laughing over help? i would not go to that store again. of course i am a bit of an ass about that stuff.

11. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

I must have gotten one of the good 12" pBooks...cause my mouse button works perfectly...and never sticks or makes weird noises.

12. davy the bunny macrumors regular

Laughed?

No matter what the question is, no salesperson should ever laugh at a customer ever. I agree with yzedf.

13. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

So what does this say about apple's employees then, eh?

14. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

true, but laughing in a customers face?
    he does sound young.

15. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

It's one thing getting people's response on a forum, but go to Apple HQ with this. This is not the service we want, and the only way it will get better is if the people in charge know their strengths and weaknesses.

16. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Two weeks still sticking

It has been two weeks and my button is still sticking. I went to the store to see if the display model they had had a similar problem. But it worked perfectly. I also cannot give up my computer for ten days right now. I guess I'll write apple today and see if I can get something in writing from them. I also am extremely anxious for a bluetooth mouse especially now that my damn trackpad button is screwed up. I have tried to get used to clicking on the trakpad instead of the button but it is hard to get used to.

17. Chad macrumors member

I worked for HP and took care of large volume accounts etc... such as CompUSA Office Depot etc...

if some punk laughed at a customer I would have him fired !!!
    and make sure every other store would no his name

there is no excuse for that kind of attitude I would talk to the store manager for sure

hate people like that

18. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

so you are old huh? yeah, me too.

19. Chad macrumors member

the big 40 this year ;)

hehehe

but at least I can say yes I was there and owned a 128K mac ;)
    and was excited when the 512 came out ;)

and I can say that I remember carying a hole punch to double side my floppies

I can also say I remember when a computer was $3000
    and come to think of it they still are ;)

well good to see some things dont age ;)

hehehehehe

20. npflood macrumors newbie

Same Problem : Went away

I had the same problem with my new Powerbook but it has since gone away with use. It seems that when it is new it just needs to be broken in.

21. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Re: Two weeks still sticking

I am unsure about the 12" PB but the iBook has a very annoying thing about the trackpad. If you have your hand over the hdd and rest it on that big flat empty space there, it screws witht the trackpad. All of the sudden the cursor is on the other 1/2 of the screen. Gah!!! Apple says, more or less, that yes this a problem that we know about, and no they won't do anything about it! That is lame. Other than that, which can be worked around by this old dog changing his tricks, i have no issues with the trackpad/mouse button. In the apple store, the tp/mb felt the same on both the ibook and the 12" PB to me....

22. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Yeah... my parents were so proud of the 486 33MHz they got for $2799....! Before that was about the same amount for the Franklin Ace, the one with dual 5.25" floppy drives! Couldn't run for more than about 1hr though, started to overheat.

Didn't use another Mac until 1991. And then not again until 1993, and then not until OS X. Now I am about to buy one. Very strange.

Mr Jobs can thank Mr Torvalds for my purchase next month. No Linux, no Mac for me (me cutting teeth with linux for last 3 yrs makes me ok to use bsd core of os x when i have to).

23. KingArthur macrumors regular

Heck, I am 19 and can remember my grandma's MacSE, or our 486SX 33Mhz. That dinosaur cost us $2,500. It had 4 MB of RAM, 1 MB of VRAM, 120 MB HD, and a 14.4k modem! My dad got it and said "Wow, we will never fill up that hard drive!" He later updated it to a 486 DX 33Mhz. Bought 4MB of RAM for $200 (I found it a week later in a magazine for $100. He felt very stupid for that). Then we got a 4x CD-ROM drive (top of the line stuff, I tell ya). Finally, he just had to give up on it b/c it was slower that a snail. The next thing he got was a 600Mhz Dell, and he still has it. Ahhhhh, memories. I hear people complain about their track-pads clicking and sticking, and I remember when they used trackballs instead!

24. Chad macrumors member

I rembmer the bag I bought for my 128k Mac made it a portable ;)

trackballs remind me of old vidoe games ;)

getting old sucks !!!!
    hehehee

25. jaguarx macrumors regular

I seem to ahve been lucky (depressing when you consider this). No major problems, no dead pixels, only a slight gap on the right between the screen and the body (i can live with that).
    I do have one issue though which noone seems to have come across...
    On the front of the unit, on the right in front of the batter enclosure the strip of metalic looking stuff MOVES WHEN I PRESS IT. THe whole strip bens out a bit around the button to release the screen and bends inwards when i press it (not hard) over the battery area!
    Anyone else had ths? I'm going to take it in when i get a chance.....
    Considering i was thinking this thing was well built it was a bit of a letdown, even if it only seems to be quasi-cosmetic.