12" PB Keyboard - Painted?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by funkywhat2, Feb 11, 2003.

1. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I was wondering if anyone knew if the keyboard of the 12" PB was painted. I have basically decided to get one, once the $ is right, but the last thing I want is a painted keyboard (yes it's a factor, the little things are big to me.)

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I can't find anything corroborating on Apple's web site, but I seem to recall from the Keynote at MWSF that they keys are laser etched.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I just compared with the 12 and 15 inch powerbook. The keys feels exactly the same. I believe its jus the color of the plastic with the letters stamped on. Even if it was painted, i dont think regular typing will rub it off.

iJon

4. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

macintosh keyboards and mice are, whilst simple and basic, generally built very well.

why? cause you type a hell of a lot on a mac (casue your working and not trying to fix the thing) and - well - the mac is a mouse orientated system. In any good mac program you should be able to do everyhting without touching the keyboard. especially now as you can use the Character Palette to enter the letters etc for you :D

regular typing is not going to do anyharm. my dad had a mac for 10 years until about 4mnths ago. it was the power supply that went. original keyboard and no loss of letters.

5. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Well, I'm not concerned with it rubbing off, but if the machine gets hot I don't want the keyboard to get tacky, like painted plastics get when they're hot.

Thanks for the info.

6. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I don't think it would get that hot. Besides, I think the paint on the Ti's wouldv'e melted before any paint on plastic keys would.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

They're called Mac Geniuses. just so you know...and the keyboard on the 17" isn't painted and since the 12" and 17" basically use the same keyboard, i guess it's not.

8. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Why would they paint a keyboard? It is plastic. Just use a different color of plastic.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

10. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Exactly, thats why I asked.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

My last computer a B/WG3 I bought new in July of 1999 came with my first keyboard with painted on letters. I can tell you for a fact that after 4 years of typing on it the letters did fade some but they were still legible. I just bought a new DDR PowerMac in August and am wondering about the new Pro keyboard the letters are already fading.

12. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Are we talking about painted letters or full painted keys?

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Painted letters.

I did look at a 12" PowerBook this weekend and if the keys aren't painted I don't what they are. They definitely look painted, feel painted, and have the texture of paint.

14. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

But are the keys, as in the whole key, painted? Most of their plastics don't seem that way, but the 12" keyboard seems to be painted silver. Or at least that's how it felt.

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agre that the whole key on the 12" feels painted.

I was referring to my keyboards on my PowerMacs up above and only the letters are painted on and they wear thin very quickly. I have yet to wear any completely off though.