12" PB no Superdrive!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Superdrive, May 25, 2005.

1. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

So I put a DVD in my 1.5ghz 12" PB and nothing happened. The drive is not recognized in Finder, DVD Player, Disc Utility, and even open firmware. It powers and spins the disc on startup, but I have a feeling it is time for a trip to the Apple Store because my Powerbook doesn't think it has a drive!!! :(

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No Superdrive? Do you only have the Combo Drive which plays but doesn't burn DVDs? Did it ever work?

3. Superdrive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Oh yeah, there is one (Superdrive) in here. It has worked since I picked up the machine in January. Now my computer has decided it doesnt want to recognize it!

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Does it play CDs? Does it show up on the System Profiler?

5. Superdrive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

It does nothing, no system profiler, no playing of anything. Open firmware doesn't see it, so it leads me to believe it is hardware related. The drive spins, but stops at that.

6. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Just bring it back if you bought it in January... covered by warranty..

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree. I'd zap the pram first just to make sure.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sounds like maybe the data cable between the drive and the computer is loose, but maybe the power one is fine? Sounds like an Apple Store issue... the most you could do is run the HW test cd, and even then, I'm not sure what you could do with what it told you.... :(

9. Superdrive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

I'm heading in tomorrow after work to have it taken care of. I am pretty sure that the cable is the issue, but I thought that laptop drives were one plug for some reason. Maybe that is only HDs.

I also tried the HW test cd and I can confirm that it didn't work. The drive can not be read from :p.

10. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

No, you're right. All the drives in notebooks are connected via a single cable which provides both power and data connections. That doesn't mean it's not a cable problem, of course. Good luck--hopefully it's a quick fix and not one you have to send away for.

11. Superdrive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Unfortunately, I'll put my money on sendaway just based on premonition. Now I wonder if this will make me put down for AppleCare next January. Stay tuned. Thanks for your help.