12" PB or 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macreator, Jun 8, 2004.

1. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

So I have decided to wait until WWDC and then buy a new PowerBook right after. Here's my dilemma though, 15" or 12". I currently have a 15" TiBook and love the size but I have heard that the new 15" is heavier and bulkier. I'm sure someone has a 15" and a 12" so I'd love to hear some opinions.

2. skinastar macrumors newbie

I don't think I'm exactly the person you were looking for a response from, but...

I am also gonna get a PB around that time and here are my thoughts

I like portablity, but 12" is just too cramped unless you have every intention of generally using a monitor and keyboard with it. Some would disagree but have you actually tried typing even just one page on that small of a keyboard?!

its not worth it, not for a few ounces...the cost maybe...but not a few ounces

3. StrangeQuark macrumors member

Unless I am gravely mistaken, the same keyboard is used on all three Powerbook models.

4. SkudShark macrumors member

SkudShark

Welll.....

I just got a new 12" PB, super drive, the works, and I love it. I had aimed for th emost portable I can get to take to hotels, vacations, and general slouching at home. The keyboard is the same as on all of them, my friend has a 15" and to me, it's just too big, because its the size of most 17" PC laptops due to the huge speakers they stuck on the sides of the PB, and the 17", ugh.. Try fitting that in your lap or on the tray table on a plane!

All in all, no regrets, I had a IBM T41 with a 14" display, loved it but I can't get enough of OS X, love it ^_^

If you wan tmobility and small size, 12" is the way to go.

5. OziMac macrumors 6502

Not 100% sure about this, but I believe the Al15" in not heavier and bulkier than the TiBook.

If you already have a TiBook and it served you well (in terms of size) then you will probably appreciate the equal size of the Al15" more than the smaller 12", especially given the extra performance options that come with the 15".

However, if you want a change for further portability, you can't go wrong with the 12"...

6. kelvinz macrumors member

is this true?

7. StrangeQuark macrumors member

You be the judge. The images are to scale.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. wide macrumors 6502a

yes, it is true. the only difference between the keyboards is that the 12 inch keyboard and the low-end 15 inch keyboards are not backlit. otherwise, they are the same thing.

the pictures that the above poster supplied are accurate, and it may seem that the 15 and 17 inch pbooks have bigger keyboards than the 12 inch, but that is purely an optical illusion. check out the technical specifications for all three powerbooks here to find out for yourself:

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

It says that each of the computers has a full-sized keyboard.

In more detail, below the charts it says that each computer has a

Apple does not say that the keyboard have different sizes according to the model, thus they are the same (unless apple is hiding something, which i doubt they are).

9. OziMac macrumors 6502

Yep. The keyboards are the same size. That really shouldn't be a consideration in differentiating between the models, unless you require backlit.

I have yet to get it out yet, but I suspect the keyboard on my new 15" will not be as easily accessible as the one on my 12" due to its central location and the speakers on the side - but again, much of a muchness, the 'inconvenience' is minor for me, others might disagree...