12" PB owners, I have a Q.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iQuit, Jun 29, 2005.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Is it like the iBook where it kind of hurts your eyes? And also it is pretty high resolution so how is the screen? Is it good? See because I need a laptop for the Summer and can't get a 17" till the end of Summer and looked into a 15" but they are slower,not enough hd space and no sudden motion sensor. Tell me what you think about your 12" and your experiences with it,is it ok for video editing?because my iBook can't cut it.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If you're planning to edit with FCP, the 12" PB 1024x768 screen resolution is a bit tight. Don't expect to be too productive with it. A 15" PB would be a much better choice.

As far as the screen is concerned, the viewing angle is too narrow for proper image adjustment, let alone color correction. As a simple on-location cutting machine, the PB is awesome. I'm going to take my PB with me to Asia to cut Hi-Def travelogues with my Sony Z1.

3. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

re:

I only have $1500 and for the education discount I can get the 1.5 GHz 12" with SPD. I need it for video editing and won't get a 17" till the end of the summer,maybe a little later. So I am saying,for using a Canon ZR MiniDV camera,will it do fine? I am just skeptical about that 12" screen.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Can you test drive the machine at a local reseller or Apple store? I think that's the only way to really try it out.

5. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Yes there is. All new Powerbooks have Sudden Motion Sensor.

I have a 12" iBook. I haven't noticed the screen hard to look at or bothering my eyes ever, but I also am 18. The 12" screen isn't that bad for most everyday tasks. Expose' helps out a lot. Yes, sometimes however, I do wish I had a bigger screen.

However, maybe you need the larger screen on the go, but, you always have the option of hooking up to a large external display; which is what I do when I need the extra space.

6. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

No,I mean an older rev. 15",because I only have $1500 right now. Thanks for responding so fast,it's just my iBook's 12" screen is so annoying,I just wish I had more space,but for around $200 I can get a 17" flat panel screen so that's not bad. I am 14 and do video editing and web design and such,I really need a big screen and my PC's can't cut it...that's why I switched to Mac last year.

7. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

If your 12" iBook isn't going to cut it, the 12" PB isn't going to do any better for you.

8. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Well my iBook only has 32 mb of vram....the PB is twice as much,I really need 128 or 256 though.

9. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

So your going to spend all that extra money on a powerbook, for 32 extra MB VRAM when you plan on buying something else in the near future???

Just doesn't seem logical to me.

10. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i think screen size is a matter of opinion. other than the fact that the screen will get a bit crowded. but if that bothers you or not is your opinion. i dont mind the screen clutter when im working for short amounts of time, or only doing ONE thing at once. but when i start doing a lot, expose helps a little, but does not take the place of a good big external monitor. i would probably still use an external monitor with the 15" PB and i would never get the 17" b/c thats just an oxymoron, laptops are supposed to be PORTABLE :) sorry. im sure youll love your 17" PB. so will you be able to handle it? i can, but only for short or simple projects (no more than a few hours at a time)

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The screen on my 12" doesn't hurt my eyes, you will find a big improvement over your iBook. I have a Canon ZR40 and do light video editing and it's fine for my needs. If you're always mobile then the 15" IS going to be better, however if you're editing at home, then get an LCD and a 12".

12. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

re:

Well I NEED something to hold me off for the Summer,so I suppose the 12" will have to do because I only have $1500,and at least it has a SPD. :) I will eventually get the 17" and use that for when I need to do good editing and the 12" will be my mobile laptop..and eventually I will get a Mactel as a desktop sitting next to my Dell. I could get a Dell laptop that is superpowerful for $1500 considering there only $560 and up from there right now...but I can't live without OS X.

13. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

re:

Thanks for all the feedback,hopefully the 12" can suit me for my Canon ZR 200.

14. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

The 12" iBook and the 12" Powerbook share the same LCD. Obviously, if one doesn't suit you, then the other won't either.

15. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

We both have an iBook and PowerBook 12". I don't understand why people say the screens appear to look the same. Perhaps you haven't calibrated them properly?

Side by side I can see that my PowerBook's screen appears much brighter and the colours more brilliant. I use mine for digital artwork using Adobe and Painter IX, it handles it very well. But I will invest in a cinema screen at the end of the year as the extra realty will be very handy.