Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

major77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2003
I was just taking a look at the BTO memory options for the 12" Powerbook and the new 12" ibook G4.

As far as I can tell from the Apple site, both machines use the same memory - PC2100 DDR266 SDRAM SO-DIMMS.

BUT, adding a 256MB DIMM to the ibook costs $50, but adding the same DIMM to the 12" Powerbook costs $100, double the price! Same with adding a 512MB DIMM - it costs $150 with the ibook but $300 with the Powerbook. As far as I can tell these machines are using exactly the same DIMMS. Am I missing something here?!?!?!

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
No, your wrong.. (well if your right, apple are wrong) Market shouldn't have anything to do with it! Maybe there is a slight latency difference?

I would never buy RAM from Apple. Kingston/Crucial is always reliable for me :p.

fraeone

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
Seattle, WA
Definitely not a latency issue, definitely is a price gouging issue.

Buy your RAM from Crucial, and suprise! It's the same modules for ibooks and powerbooks, and it's cheap! ($125 for a 512M SODIMM)

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
The price difference is because - on the iBook, there is a smaller chip in the only expansion slot by default, so they're charging you for the difference between the smaller and bigger chip.

On the PowerBook, that slot is empty by default, so they're charging you for the whoe new memory chip - no "discount" for trading up from the smaller one.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by SpaceMagic
No, your wrong.. (well if your right, apple are wrong) Market shouldn't have anything to do with it! Maybe there is a slight latency difference?

I would never buy RAM from Apple. Kingston/Crucial is always reliable for me :p.

I would disagree; in some cases you are better off letting Apple put the memory in. In the iMac to go from 256MB to 512MB using one DIMM, Apple wants $200.00. Kingston wants $143.00 for it, but can be had for less. You have to open the system up to get to the memory to replace it. While you save yourself some money, you also void your warranty.

The peecee manufacturers pull the same thing.

fraeone

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
Seattle, WA
You're forgetting that you then turn around and sell the 256M SODIMM that came pre-installed when you buy from a third party, this makes the price more like $75 vs $200.

As for voiding the warranty, yeah that sucks. Does Apple use a little metallic sticker or something to tell if you have opened the case? If they do, use a hair dryer to take it off. If they're going to pull some sneaky stuff to stop me from upgrading my RAM, they better expect me to pull some sneaky stuff in return!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
unless the memory is soldered onto the mobo, you won't void your warranty for adding memories... increasing the RAM falls under apple's "user serviceable part." yes, you need to be careful to discharge your static electricity, etc., but it will not void your warranty.

as for the price difference, i think one of the previous posters got it right.

ibook comes with 128 on mobo, one open slot with 128. if you want to "add" 256, you have to free the only slot available. so you pay $50 to upgrade the included 128 ram to 256.

PB comes with 256 on mobo, one open slot with no memory. to "add" 256, you just buy 256. apple's charging $100 for that chip. (yes, that's steep, but not in comparison to the iBook.)

edit: i think i read the warranty post wrong. are there macs with "built-in" memory that's not directly soldered on mobo, but takes up a slot that's supposed to be inaccessible to the user? in such a case, yeah, reaching for that "secret" slot will void your warranty, so your only choice is to have apple do it.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Jxyama,

Now you see the point. In the case of the iMac, it has two slots, a user accessible one that is at the bottom and easy to get to. The other is deep inside of the system and takes some disassembly to get to.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
lanbrown-

got your explanation. thanks.

that's a bummer. i'm sure apple had to some clever stuff to fit all the computer parts into such a small volume, but it's definitely a bummer... (i mean, you know how easy it is snap a ram out of the slot... only if you can reach it, though, i guess!)

tek

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
I always use crucial - extremely good service, and if for any reason it doesnt work or fit in your comp, provided you followed their memory selector, they will refund you in full.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.