Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Majikthese42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
I had been planning on buying a 14" iBook while I'm waiting for the Intel Macs, nothing special, I don't need to impress the guy or gal in the next airplane seat, but I thought I'd wait until the new PBs were released before I ordered. The new, larger PBs were underwhelming, at least when it comes to my particular needs, but then I noticed that they dropped the price on the unchanged 12" PB by $200.

The Amazon price is $1499 - a $150 rebate = $1349 for the PB vs $1299 - $125 = $1174 for the iBook. No tax and free shipping.

Apple Care is a few bucks cheaper for the iBook. The PB has the aluminum case, a larger hard drive and a slightly faster processor. Same screen resolution.

So now for $175 more I'm inclined to order the 12" PB. Have I missed something?

Thanks!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
If you can go PB.

I don't like PBs do to this = easily to dent and warping

I don't like the iBooks do to this = easily scratchable.

I'd rather have an easily scratchable notebook rather than a dented, warped notebook.

Just my 2 cents :)

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
I wnet 12 ibook with more ram and saved more than either. But if you need a superdrive, or some other features like native screen spanning id go PB.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
TaKashMoney said:
I wnet 12 ibook with more ram and saved more than either. But if you need a superdrive, or some other features like native screen spanning id go PB.

Excellent point. Performance wise, the two are all but indistinguishable right now.

Don't buy the PowerBook unless you need any of the specific "pro" features it offers.

My iBook does marvelously with the approximate same usage pattern.

The unfortunate thing right now is that power users aren't going to be as satisfied as they once were with PowerBooks (marginally better for the 15" and 17" models).

If you need Mac horsepower these days (until the big transition), you're stuck buying a G5 desktop.

toezter

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2004
Madison, WI
another point, the 14" has the same resolution as the 12".

IMO, if you're looking at the 14" ibooks, consider the 12" ibook, since its smaller and will be easier to lug around.

i've owned a 12" ibook and powerbook. my friends have a 14" ibook. i would much rather go with the 12"ers. unless its a 15" WIDESCREEN pb with HIGHER resolution.

get it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.