12" PB vs. 14" iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crazycamel01, Jun 22, 2004.

1. crazycamel01 macrumors newbie

I was using educational pricing, comparing the highest end 14"iBook with the highest end (superdrive) 12"PB. I added only the Superdrive upgrade to the iBook, and upgraded HD (and i think VRAM) in PB.

Basically the only difference I saw was that PB ended up with 80GB HD, bluetooth (unneccessary IMHO), and 1.33 vs. 1.2 Ghz processor. I am going to upgrade the memory on each through Crucial, they are basically 100 dollar upgrades each.

The iBook ends up being like 300 dollars cheaper (like 1500 versus 1800), plus it comes with a bigger screen and supposedly better wireless connection due to the case (aluminum reflects EM waves). Am I missing something here? It seems like a nobrainer, with only the 20GB hard drive as a noticeable difference.

Please let me know what you guys think of this setup so I can make an informed decision. I will be using the laptop for internet/word processing, garageband, possibly video editing and of course travel entertainment. Am I missing out on any crucial elements that I should take into account? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Some things to take into account, on the pro-powerbook side:
    Powerbook has higher quality screen and keyboard.
    Powerbook has a line-in jack. The iBook will require 3rd party hardware.
    Powerbook can have a 5400rpm hard drive.
    Airport signal difference is negligible, if it exists at all.

Lee Tom

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I have used two iBooks, before I bought a pb 2 days back. And I must say, the pb is a class apart. No comparison. You already know the specs and your analysis is indeed at point. I am not justiying the extra 300$ on pb, but if you do spend it, you would see the difference. The overall finish is amazing.

And you can't upgrade the vram in iBook. Plus Bluetooth can be real useful to you once you get a BT cellphone, or u wanna wireless mouse. And the wireless reception on my pb is exactly the same as the iBook. So although in case of speed, there won't be any appreciable difference between 1.2 and 1.33 Ghz, but still in overall look and feel, there is a lot of difference. I loved my iBook, but I love the pb more :D

cheers

4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I have a 15" powerbook, so that's not very helpful, but one of my friends has a 12", and my sister has a 14" ibook. the 12" is unbelievably light, and bluetooth is actually quite helpful, since you could get a wireless mouse without having to use up a usb port. Also, I don't know if this makes a difference to you, but the keyboard for the powerbook is considerably better than that of the ibook. The ibook one feels kind of spongy, which is aggravating, to me at least.

5. wide macrumors 6502a

The PowerBook has a better screen (same resolution as both the iBooks) and a much, much better keyboard. The PowerBook looks better. The PowerBook has a 133 MHz increase, as well as a far superior graphics card. The PowerBook looks so much cooler. The faster hard drive is really a big thing. I doubt you would realize the AirPort reception issue.

PowerBook all the way! You also might want to consider a 15-inch PowerBook at 1.33 GHz, which is $1799 with the educational discount.

6. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

12" Powerbook or the 14" Ibook. There isn't much difference between the 12" Ibook and the Powerbook, even less difference between the 12" Ibook and the 14" model. Save yourself some money and boost the RAM, get the BTO and Airport extreme, get a spare battery or whatever. Go with the 12" Ibook!

This makes about between 3 - 5 meters or so i've heard, this is the difference bewteen being able to get online while sitting on the sofa or having to sit in the floor! Regardless of what people say, it does make a difference and its just one of the perks of the Ibook range - which are roughly equal to the last Rev. Powerbooks power wise!

Whatever you go with im sure you'll be happy! But its always good to save some money!

Mark.

7. OziMac macrumors 6502

I agree with Mark's last comment, but personally believe that the 12" Powerbook is so much better at that price range than the 14" iBook.

I think it's more difficult an issue to choose between the 12" iBook and 12" Powerbook, because the 12" iBook provides such excellent value. I don't think there's any advatange at all to the 14" iBook, because the price difference is easily swallowed up by the superiority of the Powerbook. A few things you may have overlooked, and some other things that people have already mentioned that make a big difference -

1. Better video card and twice the VRAM.

2. Standard internal Bluetooth.

3. Much better screen (updated this rev).

4. Portability - the 12" Powerbook is the lightest Apple portable available, and it feels great to carry around. If you want to sacrifice portability for performance, then the 15" Powerbook is the way to go, rather than the 14" iBook.

5. Excellent Airport reception - I guess this really depends on your set up, but 3 - 5 metres doesn't make that much difference so long as you've positioned your router well and can comfortably sit on the couch, and not in the corridor ;).

6. Better hard drive - this is by far one of the shining points of the new rev C's. The option to go to a larger and faster hard drive makes a HUGE difference in performance.

7. Audio in - essential for Garageband and other audio apps.

8. Faster RAM.

Having said all this, the 14" iBook probably has better battery life, but the 12" Powerbook rev C has been reputed to have excellent battery life anyway, so there's probably little difference. But then again, I think the 12" iBook would trump both in value for money, as Mark noted, since the new iBooks are just as good as the rev B Powerbooks.

But the 12" Powerbook is a beauty, and if it's up against the 14" iBook, I would heartily recommend it.