12" PB VS. Loaded iBook w/ Superdrive, need help deciding

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yoda13, May 3, 2004.

1. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Ok, here goes. I have finally talked my cousin into switching. He has to have DVD burning capabilities on the road, so any computer has to have a superdrive. Here is what he is considering:

12" PB with 80gig harddrive, and the new 64mb video card

or

14" 1.2 ghz iBook with superdrive

We cannot make up our minds. He really likes the larger real estate on the iBook, and yes, we know that it is the same resolution, but the small screen on my PB bothers him. The kicker is this. He likes to play games and is already eyeing my C&C generals cd and he wants to get SW: KOTOR when it comes out in August. Both of these are fairly taxing games and we know portables aren't the best for gaming. But budgets are budgets, and these are the options. I have read on these forums that the Radeon 9200 is a better card, but is that still true since they have upped the VRAM on the PB? And will the small difference is processesor speed matter that much? Please help

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sooooo.......what's so hard to decide? If he's already bothered by using the 12" PB, then getting him the system with a better graphics card (ie: the 12" PB) isn't going to help him if he can't even see what's happening on the miniature screen. ;)

And when you say, "he has to have DVD burning capabilities on the road", does that mean you're looking at the 12" PB with Superdrive, or with the Combo drive? You didn't specify, but if he's looking at the PB with combo drive, and he NEEDS the Superdrive, then the decision is even easier.....

Just so long as he knows that the iBook isn't going to be great for any intensive gaming, he should get the iBook. The PB is better, but if the 12" screen and lack of superdrive are going to bother him, why should he buy it, or either system? Apple is great, but if its not the system for him, then he shouldn't spend his money on either of them. Get him to look at a Gateway 200X or something. Good price + 14" screen if I remember correctly. Don't know about the graphics card, but if you go for the better model, there should be an okay card in there.

3. yoda13 thread starter macrumors 65816

yoda13

No, the powerbook would have a superdrive as well. He wants to know, and I can't seem to provide him the answer, if the twelve inch PB would be better for gaming, or if the iBook would be. I had heard that the 9200 was a better graphics card than the one from nVidea in the Powerbook. I was wondering if that was still the case now that it has twice the video ram. His experience with his Gateway is why he wants to switch. That has already been decided, by him and not me btw :cool: