12" PB w/ 15" extrenal display or 15" PB by itself?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Gherkin, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    I am going to be buying a new Powerbook when they get the speed bumps, and I'm kind of stuck here.

Should I get a 12" YaoBook with an external monitor (I'm actually funding this purchase by selling my PC, and I would just keep my current 15" Samsung 152t) or get a 15" Powerbook and be forced to sell the monitor because I would need the money?

Going with the 12" combo, I would get better portability, better battery life, some extra cash for a bluetooth mouse, maybe some speakers, and the two screens at home (you can use both screens at once, correct? It wouldn't just be a mirror of the PB screen on the external monitor?).

With the 15", I would get a bigger monitor on the laptop itself, more RAM (it just works out that way price wise. With the 15" I'd get 1 GB of RAM, the 12" 768 MB RAM), and the better screen.

What have you guys done? What would you suggest in my situation?
  2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I have a 12" iBook with the hack so I have dual separate screens. I love the portability of my iBook, but it's nice to have it all hooked up to dual screens when I get home. Plus, add the bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    depends on your use, of course, but i'd think 12" + monitor would be more flexible. is there a reason you'd suspect needing a 15" monitor on the go?
  4. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    Get the 15" PowerBook if you can afford it. It isn't that much bigger than a 12" and it is more powerful. You'll get more RAM, faster processor, bigger hard drive, better video card (which helps out when spanning), and better internal speakers (the 12" speakers are horrible). You can always pick up a external monitor later and span with your 15". I have a 12" iBook and span with an external monitor. While I love my iBook, if I could have afforded a 15" PowerBook, I would have.

If you can afford to get a 15" Powerbook, you should do it.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    just thought to mention that if you wanted to get the 15" PB up to 1 GB RAM without wasting any RAM modules, you'll need to BTO so it will come with 1 512 MB SODIMM instead of 256 MBs. (adds $200 for the 1 GHz, $100 for the 1.25 GHz.)

(and then add 512 MB later from a 3rd party...)

of course, for the 1 GHz model, it's more economical to just get the stock one with 256 MB and buy two 512 MB sticks on your own rather than paying $200 to apple AND buying another 512 MB... for the 1.25 GHz, it makes sense to BTO.
  6. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I would go with the 12" plus keep your monitor.

I have the 17" PowerBook and it is an amazing machine, but I'm still in awe over the 12" ones... they're so nice and compact, great little machines.

So I would say go for the 12", and if you do decided to try to go bigger, go all the way to the 17". The 15" is a middle of the road solution but I think you'd be happier with either of the other two.

7. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    get the 12" pb i use an external monitor with my 12" pb when im at home and it is awsome! you can with a USB or bluetooth keyboard/mouse and leave your PB closed (to preserve the LCD) if you want, or have 2 monitors with spanning (and its NOT a hack. i had a 12" iBook and had trouble with the dual monitor hack soemtimes). the 12" is incredably portable. not only can you make fun of all your peecee friends for having inferior machines but your laptop will be tons portable than any of theirs!