12" PB w/ Backlit Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cmx08, Feb 24, 2004.

1. cmx08 macrumors regular

Any chances of this to happend?

my wish for the 12 pb are

1 backlit keyboard MUST!!!
    2 gigabit ethernet MUST!!!!
    3 VGA update MUST!!!

4 LCD update, (Resol & Wide Screen if possible
    5 battery life update will be nice

will be nice
    6 ddr 333
    7 something that one can only dream of is the PCI card slot

I find the backlit the only reason i would go for the 15 al. well maybe PCI Card slot the second, but that's all period.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's a PC Card slot not a PCI slot. This is a very big difference!

3. TheT macrumors 6502

Anyhow, I think widescreen on a 12" is bogus, but a backlit keyboard would just be the perfect thing to add. I think they just have to do this, I wonder why they didn't do it in the first place to further distinguish the PB from the iBook series. I can't be that space-consuming, at least I hope it ain't....

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

They keys they use for the 12" are the same as the 15" & 17". One of mine popped off the other day, and I realized the lettering on they keys are clear... so it wouldnt take much to light up the keyboard. I don't *personally* see the need for a PC card slot... however, bring on the backlit keyboard!

5. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

If they included a backlit keyboard, I'd be on it like green on grass. It would be one of those slick distinguishable features. Right now, I use a G3 iBook which is slick in its own right. However, my mom is going to need a computer down the road so I could work out a deal with her for my iBook and then jump on the 12" PB.

I think I've got the art of pissing $$$ down cold.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i think the reason they didn't include a backlite keyboard on the 12" is because it won't fit or they were trying to squeeze all the battery life out of the battery. probably a combination of both.

exactly what vga update do you want?

7. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

My wishes, in order are:

1. Power savy G5 chip... with Centrino comparible battery life.

2. Higher resolution LCD

3. A more beefy graphics card

4. Backlit keyboard

5. Non-integrated RAM on the motherboard, complete with two DIMMs

6. Et cetera: (Pre-installed airport extreme, gigabit ethernet, PCMCIA card slot)

8. cmx08 thread starter macrumors regular

think.

don;t know ur name but as long as we all know what i meant it's all good,

I said card slot and not PCI Slot for desktop, so ... anyways, my bad.

the reason they did not add the backlit in the rev was because they wanted the technology to be UNIQUE for the UNIQUE 17".

once we all know that the 17 PB was a state-of-the-art product, they made it option for 15"

they cause more ppl to get the extra cash for the 15 instead of the 12.
    like in my case, i will get 15 just for the keys

now that the tech is known for PB, I hope that they are smart to add it on the next 12" PB G4 and not G5

those of u who keep day dreaming about any ibook g5 make a new thread please. we all know that the 1.5 g4 is coming and the g5 will not hit the books this year, so do not post g5, thanks, so everyone could stay on ground.

keys on the next 12" pb is not imposible since lot of 12 ibook g3 users in japan had mod it and this meanst that it is not a matter of space.

matter of time and apple thinking smarter for the next 12 pb.

Why PC card slot, many wintel and wamd do have it even in 10" books, and business ppl like to have something light and small = (not a desktop replacement on their hands, 17" crt = 15.9"view; 15.2" PB in this case)

and they need wireless network from phone companies, and those services use PC Card 11a/b/g/x/etc... modems.

I want to keep my options open, My first 12" PB must meet my needs until i work in a company for over 1 years. (still a freshman =P , so there are a good 5 years to go.)

ibook g4 12" will not meet it when i start working.

so i want to have an expandable book, since a PB is not like buying an ibook. it will be productive, not consumer (this case ibook).

9. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Re: think.

Umm.. I'm confused, do you mean 12" powerbook and not 12" ibook G5? I don't think refering to a more power savy chip is too far out of topic for future wants for the 12" PB.

10. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

yea i just opened up my 12" Powerbook to see how reasonable it would be to upgrade the hard drive myself and not send it to a technician ($$), and yea space is DEFINITELY an issue.

unless Nano technology makes a huge freaking leap this year and makes 2.5" hard drives even smaller... don't get your hopes up on backlighting without mildly increasing the case size of the 12" PB or reducing some features. This puppy is stuffed tighter than a thanksgiving bird.

They could always get rid of the 56k Modem, who uses that anymore anyways? especially with airport technology so widely used now. This would give you a little room. Nixing the audio in jack would help too, but thats one of the few things that distinguishes this machine from the iBook, and i make LOTS of use of that port myself.

for me backlighting is more of a cosmetic feature than anything. the light from the screen gives me enough light to see the keys when i need to.

11. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

Re: think.

yea, well being half an inch deeper, 1/3 inch longer, and a quarter inch thicker certainly gives the ibook that extra little amount of space to put those pretty little rave lights in.

christ, if the 15" and 17" had a light up skull and crossbones on the back of the screen and the 12" didn't... you'd probably want this feature on the new 12" too.

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if you followed some of the links i gave above it had this.

http://homepage.mac.com/nnishi/PhotoAlbum3a.html

if you could pull power from place in the 12" PB you rig some fiber optic line in there. i will open up my PB this weekend and see if can find some power.

hopefully open it will show and easily way to rig teh fiber when i do it.

13. cmx08 thread starter macrumors regular

ok, here i come

the ibook g5 was a sarcasm,

ibook just got g4 and no way it will have g5 this summer,
    same goes for me 12 pb, b/c new 1.5 g4 was announced so it will change PB spec soon but not in putting new g5 this summer.

everyone, it's ok to think i advance but not too much, I can think off a dual G8 in a 12 ibook also, but come on guys,
    we have to make sense in wat we say, now.

i'm too tired to type, got to sleep and only have 3 hrs. so i'll make it short

cool site to look at the books :
    http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/

good luck to the one opening the pb for fiber optic implante, and that site shows u how to pop it open

14. cmx08 thread starter macrumors regular

cosmetic

indeed it will be cosmetic for many, but for it the light will save energy for my AE

in order to use it for a long time and read with LCD light i must have it at 16/16

but i have it at 1/16 dots only and i see no keys. I have a skin on it and it sometimes becomes hard to type by touch.

besides, u all no that spanish and french have some FACKED UP alphabt. U have to work it around.

Modem is still std because not every one lives in an area of 10 hotstops.

go to SAmerica and u'll hit the phone line at 56K, some other countries also.

so it will stay in it until the day the world gets another way to surf for cheap which will replace the modem, by then

the PB will must likely look live a titanium frame less shame with on air keyboard, we are looking at 100... years from now

therefore, modem will always stay std

15. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

just check my sig. for the best powerbook i can think of...

16. Versello macrumors regular

If I recall correctly, the backlit keyboards use fiber optics, so it should consume very little space/power actually.

17. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Re: ok, here i come

thanks for the link :)