12" PB with widescreen MONITOR?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sammyman, Jun 1, 2005.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I bought a 12" powerbook and was planning on buying an iMac as well, however, this 12" is more computer then I will ever need. I would like an external hard drive when I am home though.

What would happen if I plugged this bad boy into a 20 inch widescreen dell monitor? Would it stretch everything and look stupid? Is there any way around that? Is it the same with a mac mini?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

3. Brigrat macrumors member

That is what I do, and I am very happy with the PB, and the Dell 2005FPW. You will be pleased.

4. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why doesn't it stretch the image? Don't get it.

5. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Question though...

my parents' Dell flatscreen monitor has the serial connection type...how would I utilize this screen with my powerbook? the powerbook comes with a DVI-mini dvi connector, right? what else do i need?

6. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine came with plugs I can plug into the pb to adapt it to external monitors. Still don't get the 4:3 going to 16:9....

7. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

nevermind! I just found the connecter to for the display. 19" dell monitor doesnt look to shabby with OSX! Is there anyway to close the powerbook lid and keep it awake?

8. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

sammyman:
    Spanning it not problem because each monitor is displaying something completely different so each screen runs a separate resolution.

If you mirror you will need to run the external monitor in stretched mode or have your powerbook in clamshell mode (closed lid mode).

Hope that clears it up a bit for you!

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Use clamshell mode. Shut the PB and let it sleep, then plug in an external keyboard or mouse while keeping the PB shut. Should do the trick.
    Mac OS X sutomatically adapts. PB's usually don't mirror, but do screen spanning instead, though you can have it either way. Mirroring is when the funny stuff will happen.