12" PBook and superdrive

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by WannabeSQ, Jan 8, 2003.

1. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Should I even bother getting the superdrive in a powerbook at the 1x speed? My dad has the 2x one back when it first came out, and it takes forever to burn a DVD. I plan on doing film, so a superdrive would be nice, but i also plan on having a desktop, and possibly buying a 4x dvd burner. Is it worth it to have a superdrive on the go if I have one at home? I can get student discount, so it is only $190 more.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The Superdrive is really nice to have to back up your system with. For the price you quoted I would definitely get it simply for the sake of being able to back up your system without first transferring or networking very slowly to your desktop then to DVD. Believe it or not even at 1x the DVD burner actually burns a lot of data quite quickly it just seems slow since you're dealing with a 4.7GB disc rather then a max 700MB disc.

Just my 2¢.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Besides backing up your data, you never know when that might come in handy. Plus it will increase the resale value in the long run. If you can afford it, i'd say go for it.

pnw

4. WannabeSQ thread starter macrumors 6502

I was kinda leaning that way myself, just tryin to save a few bucks if not necessary.

That said, will the 867 mhz no L3 and the geforce4 420 be good enough to run warcraft 3 well? I have a 1ghz pc laptop with original radeon 8meg and runs ok, could be better. I also have a desktop G4 500 with radeon 8500 that plays fine til there is a lot of action. Will I be satisfied with the 12"?

EDIT: to contrast, the best ive seen Warcraft 3 is on a AMD athlon xp 2000 with a radeon 8500LE.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I would say it should run better then your PC laptop and nearly as well as your desktop.