12" Powerbook+23" ACD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kingcrowing, Dec 21, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

How well would a current rev. 12" powerbook run a 23" Apple ACD? would it be loud/hot running it with the lid closed? also, could I have the 23" ACD as my main display and the 12" pBook as a second display when the LCd is connected?

2. adk
    macrumors 68000

adk

I run a 15" PB in clamshell mode and the fan doesn't run anymore than with the screen open.

3. macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yes :) You can do it in System Preferences>Displays>Arrangement.

4. macrumors 68030

.Andy

In my experience with a 12" and 20" ACD the fan seems to run all the time as soon as you plug in you DVI cable - regardless of lid open or closed. If you were doing sound recording it might be a problem. It's not overly noisy though. If you have the radio/iTunes/ or even a normal level of background noise you probably won't even notice it's on. The machine itself doesn't get that hot as a result, probably no hotter than working on battery power.

Using dual screens is coool :cool:.

5. macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I ran my PC laptop with the lid down for a few months and destroyed the LCD. The heat messed up the screen and darkened and desaturated the area right over the hottest point. I do not recommend doing this to you PB.

Why do it anyway when you can just span and have the extra space?