12" powerbook and more than 640MB ram

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by WannabeSQ, Feb 20, 2003.

1. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

will the motherboard support larger than 512mb memory chips? I know they aren't made now, but in the future, a 1GB chip would make the powerbook a more viable option.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst I have no proof to give you the general feeling is that yes the PowerBook 12" will accept and work with 1GB SO-DIMMs when they become available. I do not know if the iBooks will.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Don't bet on the 12" PowerBook handling a 1GB DIMM. Make your decission about buying based upon the current memory restrictions.

If this turns out not to be a restriction in the future, then you'll be pleasantly surprised.

4. menacefm macrumors newbie

5. Bear macrumors G3

Re: 12" pb ram

Good refernece. It says theoretical max is 1GB. It doesn't guarantee it. Also, you would nee dthe irght type of 1GB DIMM. So while it looks probable, the question is what timeframe?

So, while being wrong about the theoretical maximum for ram in the 12" Powerbook, I still stick by my statement of you should buy a system according to its current capabilities. Theory and reality sometimes don't turn out to be the same thing.

6. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Re: Re: 12" pb ram

Timeframe = about 3-6mo after 2GB in 2 slots is available in PC laptops... ;)

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: 12" pb ram

I agree, part of the problem as I see it will be getting a 1" or 1.25" 1GB DDR Dimm. I don't think that when they are initially released that they will be available at these smaller heights.