Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
I am looking for a mac laptop to use during high school for light video editing and writing papers, maybe a few games. Which is going to work better for me an iBook G4 with a 1.0ghz processor or a Powerbook with a 867mhz Processor? I'm trying to stay under $500.00.
Thanks,
Jake :apple:

jlester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
I'm a neat freak, I'm worried the iBook will get dirty if I bring it outside.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Which one would run OS X leopard better?

Your thread title says iBook 1.2 GHz and your post says 1.0... either way, I'd say iBook. You can clean almost anything off an iBook with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They're very durable.

And there's really almost nothing about the 867 rev. A powerbook that's as good or better than the 1.2 iBook. The 1.0 is fine also, although that statement is a bit less true. They're both a bargain if you can get them under $500.

The iBooks will also do better at Leopard than that particular PB.

The only thing I'd recommend is to budget out maxing the RAM in the computer. A 1GB module for the iBooks will run you ~$75 and will make them very, very usable.

jlester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Your thread title says iBook 1.2 GHz and your post says 1.0... either way, I'd say iBook. You can clean almost anything off an iBook with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They're very durable.

And there's really almost nothing about the 867 rev. A powerbook that's as good or better than the 1.2 iBook. The 1.0 is fine also, although that statement is a bit less true. They're both a bargain if you can get them under $500.

The iBooks will also do better at Leopard than that particular PB.

The only thing I'd recommend is to budget out maxing the RAM in the computer. A 1GB module for the iBooks will run you ~$75 and will make them very, very usable.

Yeah, I meant 1.2 ghz in the post. If the powerbook/867mhz isn't as good the ibook/1.2ghz how come the powerbooks run about $200.00 more? That might be a stupid question but this will be my first mac.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah, I meant 1.2 ghz in the post. If the powerbook/867mhz isn't as good the ibook/1.2ghz how come the powerbooks run about $200.00 more? That might be a stupid question but this will be my first mac.
The newer 12" models are still at a premium price for their 12" form factor.

jlester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
How do the 12" Powerbook and the iBook 12" compare as far as thickness? In some pictures the 12" ibook looks pretty thick.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Wait, now I'm confused...

The two computers...

1) Powerbook 12", rev. A, 867MHz (this model)

2) iBook G4 / 12" 1.2 GHz (this model), or iBook G4 / 14" 1.2GHz (this model)?

It would help if you could please be more specific about which PBs and iBooks you're talking about. Also whether each one has an Airport card and if the iBooks have bluetooth.

Unless the configurations are atypical (large or fast replacement hard drives, differences in how much RAM, etc), it would be unusual for that particular PB to fetch $200 more than the 12" 1.2GHz.... Later PB 12"-ers, sure, but not that one. That powerbook with the GeForce 420 is pretty ANCIENT.

It is probably worth noting that none of those three models support CoreImage in hardware. You need to go to at least a rev. B Powerbook or else the last revision of the iBook G4s to get that. But particularly that 12" / 1.2GHz iBook would most likely have no problems with Leopard if you put in the maximum permissible amount of memory.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
are you going to spend 500? because you can frequently get a macbook CD on the market place for around 700. maybe cheaper than that if you look hard enough. it would be VERY worth it to spend 200 more bucks and get a core duo.

jlester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Wait, now I'm confused...

The two computers...

1) Powerbook 12", rev. A, 867MHz (this model)

2) iBook G4 / 12" 1.2 GHz (this model), or iBook G4 / 14" 1.2GHz (this model)?

It would help if you could please be more specific about which PBs and iBooks you're talking about. Also whether each one has an Airport card and if the iBooks have bluetooth.

Unless the configurations are atypical (large or fast replacement hard drives, differences in how much RAM, etc), it would be unusual for that particular PB to fetch $200 more than the 12" 1.2GHz.... Later PB 12"-ers, sure, but not that one. That powerbook with the GeForce 420 is pretty ANCIENT.

It is probably worth noting that none of those three models support CoreImage in hardware. You need to go to at least a rev. B Powerbook or else the last revision of the iBook G4s to get that. But particularly that 12" / 1.2GHz iBook would most likely have no problems with Leopard if you put in the maximum permissible amount of memory.

It's the 12" Powerbook 867mhz and the 12" iBook G4 1.2ghz, I don't know, the powerbook just seems so much more appealing.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
I owned an 867MHz PB and loved it. It was small and compact. Plus, I liked the keyboard feel better than the iBook. But either one you get, max out the RAM.

jlester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
are you going to spend 500? because you can frequently get a macbook CD on the market place for around 700. maybe cheaper than that if you look hard enough. it would be VERY worth it to spend 200 more bucks and get a core duo.

Are the refurb macbooks all screwed up though (with scratches and such?), Anyway by the time it was shipped and upgraded to OS X Leopard that would cost $900.00. Plus the case and everything is pushing $1000.00.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
Are the refurb macbooks all screwed up though (with scratches and such?), Anyway by the time it was shipped and upgraded to OS X Leopard that would cost $900.00. Plus the case and everything is pushing $1000.00.

No more or probably less screwed up than the old PB and iBooks.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
If you look through craigslist you could probably find a 1.33ghz powerbook for $500. At least I frequently do. I had that machine and it's one of my favorite macs ever. If not then go for the ibook since it will faster, cooler, and will have usb 2.0. I used one for a month and it was very good. Definitely can't match the looks of the 12 inch powerbook for my taste, but very functional.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY

well you wouldn't want to go thru the refurb store. keep an eye out here on the forums. you get to see pictures of your actual machine and everyone here is negotiable. you could have picked one up a few weeks back for 700.

i just got rid of a 1.33 ghz iBook. i loved it, but it was crawling compared to my macbook. you are buying into the next gen of macs as opposed to to buying dead technology. you don't even need leopard right away. tiger will suite any of your needs for the time being.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.