12" Powerbook G4 Blank Screen

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SodaPopMonster, Jan 24, 2007.

1. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

Hello everyone

I have a 1.5 Ghz 12" powerbook G4, which was working fine until about 30 minutes ago, when the screen stated to go black-I had restarted the computer numerous times, and the screen went out about 1-2 minutes every time I got on. Then it just went black, and stayed that way.

I can hear the computer whirring away as normal, the only problem is that the screen is AWOL.
    The volume works, and I can even get it to shut down normally by pressing the power button and pressing enter.

Any suggestions? This just started seemingly randomly, and I need my computer back!

Edit: I've already tried zapping the PRAM and holding down "R" While it was booting up.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If the Apple logo is not lit, then it sounds like the backlight IS the problem, no?

Try this: take a really strong flashlight and shine it on the screen (or take it outside into the bright sun). Can you (faintly) see your LCD display? If so, then it's definitely the backlight.

3. SodaPopMonster thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, can't see a thing

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

So it's your backlight AND your display.

Are these both on the same ribbon connector? (Can someone else chime in?) Maybe you could open it up and double check the connector seating and make sure it's not torn, etc.

5. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Everyone always assumes that the lack of video on an iBook is the backlight, LCD, or both. Usually, it ends up being the logic board, though. For your sake, I hope it's the LCD. It's a cheaper fix. But there's a very good chance that it's the logic board.

**update**
    Disregard my previous statement. I thought this was about an iBook, with which I have a lot of experience. I have no experience with Powerbook hardware, so I cannot comment on whether it would be a backlight, LCD or logicboard. I left my original post so this update would make sense. Sorry guys.

6. scotpole macrumors member

Connect to Tv

You may have to enable video mirroring in system preferences so this may not work, but
    Try connecting a mini din plug that goes out to three RCA jacks to your PB and to your TV. This may tell you if your screen is bad. It might also indicate that your graphic board or chip is bad if you get nothing on your TV.
    Be sure to set your TV to the appropriate input ie Aux 1.