12" PowerBook G4; hard-drive failure?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by KANYON527, Jun 13, 2005.

1. KANYON527 macrumors newbie

I own a 12" PowerBook G4 and yesterday I believe the hard-drive must have gone bad. I left it running for a few minutes, and when I came back, it was frozen, and when I restarted it, it sounded like the hard-drive was making sounds and the computer wouldn't run correctly. It would sometimes boot up and the OS would start, but every few seconds, it would make some clicking sounds and the computer wouldn't respond for a moment or two.

I have my receipt, but it was purchased on April 10th, 2004. I don't have AppleCare, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what I should do. Can Apple still service my laptop for a charge or am I on my own to get it repaired? Is there any chance Apple will service it under warrany despite the fact that it is two months beyond the warranty period?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I am not sure how much I can help you because I don't know how you paid BUT there is a certain AMEX card that doubles your warranty on electronics... if you paid with that than you're in good shape. I'm not totally sure if this will help but I hear these guys are good: http://www.powerbookresq.com/

3. KANYON527 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick response; I appreciate your input.

I don't think my credit card will cover my purchase any longer than the 12-month Apple warranty, but it's an interesting idea.

Does anyone have any comments regarding third-party PowerBook repair companies like the one that is linked here? Anyone have any experiences good or bad?

Thanks again.

4. AmnesiacOpera macrumors member

While it wouldn't be completely ethical, you could go on ebay and try to buy a new Applecare kit. Then when you call Apple, just tell them you forgot to install the kit before the 1 year period. While I've never personally done this, I know a lot of people who have successfully done it.