12" Powerbook G4 - Upgrade to Leopard?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ChrisDaMan, Jun 15, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

ChrisDaMan

So my Powerbook G4 can be upgraded to Leopard (It currently runs Tiger) and I'm thinking I could do that and get access to more up-to-date programs on my computer, but one major thing I would lose is Native Mac OS 9 capabilities, which I do enjoy a lot. Would you guys say upgrading to Leopard is really worth it? Or should I just stick to Tiger?

2. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

Thats pretty tough. I had a 12" Powerbook G4 running at 867MHz and it ran Leopard pretty slow even with a new HDD and 1.12GB of RAM installed. My TiBook actually ran it better which I would attribute to the 1MB of L3 cache. Anyways, I think that machine best fits Tiger. Its really a hard choice since support for Tiger is basically over. Thats the main reason I upgraded to the 1.5GHz 12" Powerbook. I loved the form factor, but really just needed more power to run Leopard well.

3. macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't. I'd stick with tiger. I tried it with a 867 Ghz PM and a dual 1.42 PM G4s. Both were laggy. It was fine on my 1.67Ghz PB though.

4. macrumors 68000

Nameci

Laggy in your dual 1.42 PMG4? It could be that your gfx card does not have QE/CI support.

To run Leopard smoothly you need CI (Core Image) hardware support on your gfx card.

5. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

this may help

just picked up this ibook a couple days ago (1.33,1.5 max ram,40 gig hd)

made 2 partitions for both leopard and tiger

leopard-runs ok with mild lag...even after turning off dashboard and spotlight...the plus side being i can use more updated programs

tiger-runs good...have also turned off dashboard and spotlight....downside being programs like safari,itunes ect are dated

so what partition do i find myself working in more? tiger!

6. macrumors member

Stick with Tiger.

7. macrumors 6502a

It depends on what processor, and how much ram you have. Some G4s run Leopard just fine, but with the older ones, your better off with Tiger.

8. macrumors 6502

Unless you really need leopard for something I would reccomend just sticking with tiger. You haven't said which powerbook you have but even on my 1.33ghz iBook G4 tiger was a bit faster.

9. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

Look at his sig. Its an original 867MHz PowerBook G4 12" with 512MB of RAM.

10. macrumors 6502

Whoops. Sorry!!!!! Didn't see that somehow. In that case, I would definitely not upgrade. Like I said before I have a 1.33 ghz iBook G4 that has 1.25gb of ram and leopard was still slower then tiger. I doubt you would have a good experience on leopard with those specs.

11. macrumors 6502a

I didn't see that either, I have that turned off for this forum.

12. macrumors newbie

I have a 12'' PowerBook G4 1.5GHz 1.25GB RAM and Leopard still seams heavy. The only thing that was better for me was that I could use the latest iTunes and sync my iPod touch but it's not worth it overall. I really hate how the dock acted choppy when moving the mouse over it.

13. macrumors regular

1.33ghz 12" iBook, 1.5GB of RAM here and the stock 40GB drive.

Tiger does seem a bit faster, but the difference isn't very noticeable and I primarily run Leopard on it without issue. I say give it a shot, but don't wipe Tiger just yet.

14. macrumors 6502a

I run Leopard on mine w/TenFourFox as a nice browsing machine, but had to dumb down the operating system a bit. Even with the 1.5Ghz, it's still a little laggy, but not to the point where I'd consider running Tiger. Effects are off, and I changed the dock to the simple style one. Kept dashboard bcuz I <3 my widgetz... otherwise I'm sure it would help to turn it off.