12" Powerbook on its way!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by snowfall, Mar 27, 2005.

1. snowfall macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005
    I was going to wait until Amazon had some of the new 12" Powerbooks in stock again and take advantage of their $100 mail in rebate when I stumbled across the current Apple Certified Refurb deals on the Apple Store.

$1099 for a 12" 1.33 GHz Combo-Drive Powerbook, 256MB RAM, 60GB Hard drive, etc. (The same PB with a Superdrive is going for $1299).

Even with having to pay sales tax from the Apple Store, and $50 for 512 MB from Amazon (with a coupon I had), I think it's a great deal! Of course, here's hoping the refurbs are as good as everyone says they are!

SOOOOOOO . . . E - X - C - I - T - E - D!!

I said this in a previous post, but I worked at Apple in the mid-90's and could never justify owning a Mac myself, even with the discounts I had. Though in my group, we did all of our work on Sun workstations; the new guy always got the oldest Unix box, but the new guy also got the newest Mac. So while I coveted their Sparc 5's, they were coveting my 8500. Then I left, Steve Jobs came back, and everything changed . . .

It will be nice to finally own a Mac!
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Congrats, it must be nice coming back to the Mac after so long. :) Tell us how it goes.
  3. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005

even with our brother at Microsoft, many of my siblings use Macs. It will be nice to finally have one of my own.

I love online shopping, but what's with this pesky shipping!
  4. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    for the first time i finally found my mini-dvi to VGA adapter to hook up my relatively new 17" LCD monitor to my 12" powerbook and it is really freakin cool. All i have to do now is buy a KVM switch to use my windows box to play solitare... You will love it. Now do a search in these forums to find the best accessories... Congrats on the switch and welcome back to the familyy...
  5. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    Have my 12" for 2 years now and I'm still loving it. It's a beautiful, reliable and very portable machine you are getting. You'll enjoy it! :D
  6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Congratulations. You will be very happy when you get it.
  7. eroda macrumors member

Mar 13, 2005
    im glad you didnt buy a new one because there are going to be updates :D
  8. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005

the order sheet didn't mention the mini-DVI cables, did the last rev of powerbooks come with them, or is that only with the current rev. Guess I'll see on Saturday!
  9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    What makes you think that?

I think all the AlBooks come with those cables.
  10. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    Starting with Rev. Bs, 12 inchers have come with mini-DVI to VGA and mini-DVI to DVI adapters while the mini-DVI to S-Video/composite adapter is sold separately.
  11. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    Yes, in September :)
  12. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I have mine for a year now and quite frankly, my 1.33Ghz 12" PB has been my best computer investment, if you can call computer investments. It's been very reliable, I've only had to do a cold boot of it 6 times since owning it. Make sure you get Airport Extreme. Nothing like surfing the web on a sofa or typing this post on the can.
  13. Cypher3 macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2004
    Enjoy, My 12" PB has been my only computer for almost a year now after switching from PC and I have to say its been great.
  14. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005
    o Tigre

And since I made the decision I wasn't going to buy the first iteration of Tiger any ways, no point in waiting a couple of weeks either.

Besides my well worn HP Omnibook is literally falling apart, four years and it's about ready to give up the ghost.
  15. walrus macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2005
    Southern California
    DVI/VGA cabling

Snowfall, I ordered the exact same refurb on the same day you did. It just arrived today, and I can confirm (at least mine) came with the mini-dvi to dvi and mini-dvi to vga cables. So it's a pretty safe bet yours will too. Enjoy!
  16. Open-Your-Eyes macrumors newbie

May 28, 2004
    Joining the 'excited' club!

I too have a 12" powerbook on its way!!!
    Its the new rev D model, my first mac.

I've been saving for a year now! (student) and finally its on its way,
    Thanks to everyone for the advise over the past year, im finally joining the world of mac, and i can't wait.
  17. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2005
    Congrats! You'll love it!

I purchased the same PB only I opted for the SuperDrive.

Remember to look at EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, mine had a couple of issues: click here

After getting Apple to deal with those issues, I've had NO PROBLEMS, and my PB (Naomi) is on pretty much 24/7!

18. Open-Your-Eyes macrumors newbie

May 28, 2004

Ok, I’ll do a quick check for dead pixels, missing screws on ram panel, and other general stuff,

Then I’ll brew a broth, and sit down to involve myself in the mac world….

(forget the broth, I aint risking that)

Cheers for the check info….

Quick question,
    I’m going to be using all ilife applications, not at the same time… Along with Microsoft office and safari… expect 3 apps open at a time…

Is the 512 going to hold itself up, or should I consider more. I have never owned a mac and so don’t know this.

19. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    512MB of ram should be good enough.. but if you have the money, then upgrade to 1GB of ram... Its always better to have the little extra.

When you get your PB, download a program called MenuMeters (just google it) and it will show you how much memory is being used and how much is free ... it loads in the top bar.. that will help you decide if you need more or not..
  20. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I also bought a 12" PB recently. I like its compact shape and large hard drive and other features for this size. This is an ideal notebook for people on the go. I cannot wait for my next business trip so that I can take it with me.
  21. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005
    It's here!!

I was gone on a business trip the past several days, and on my return my new PB was waiting for me, I'm typing this message on it right now!

It's fantastic, what a great little machine, and yes it did come with the cables. Love the keyboard and the display (which was my biggest concern). Just waiting for the extra memory to come in tomorrow.

I'll take a look and see if there are any issues. The F1 key is a little tilted, and the latch sometimes takes a couple of attempts to latch on, but I don't know if that's normal or not.

Thanks again folks!
  22. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005

Well, just realized it shipped with the wrong manual, Apple sent me one for an iBook G4, and possibly the wrong software (don't know if it's different for the iBook and PB). I definitely prefer getting the right machine and the wrong manual to getting the right manual and wrong machine! But hopefully Apple will correct the situation. I just need to find which number to call.
  23. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2005
    FYI... Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 or 1-800-275-2273 for technical assistance

F1 button tilted, and wrong Manual? First call Apple, and tell 'em about the situation. Then, go to your nearest Apple store. Maybe they'll have a PB Manual floating around, and get your F1 button fixed.

Tell 'em you're not satisfied with the button, the repair will only take 5 MIN.

Good Luck!

P.S. Try to get this done ASAP.