12" powerbook or 12"ibook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by weese, Jun 26, 2004.

1. weese macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm a freelance graphic designer. I now have a PowerMac G4 1.25GHz, with 768 ram at home. Planning to get a laptop as I will be away from home for quite a while.

So my problem is should I get a 12" iBook n upgrade it with more ram (maybe add another 1G) plus bluetooth n superdrive or a 12"Powerbook with just 768ram.

I will use it to do graphic n my pet project, a 2d animation.

Any advice is welcome. thanks :)

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

12 powerbook. i own a rev c. sweet. i bought a 256 chip (total of 512) until i can afford a 1GB. it runs fine right now.

if your gonna invest money in anything, get a 7200 rpm drive, not more ram.

3. smurfsgonewild macrumors member

What type of monitors can you hook up to the powerbook. Does it have to be an apple display or can it be any brand.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, get the 12" PB model rather than the iBook and more RAM. Any RAM added when you already have 768MB won't improve performance by too much, or at least not proportionally. However, processor and system bus speed will be huge factors. You're better off getting 768MB of RAM in a 12" PB rather than the iBook with 1284MB of total RAM.

Also, get the optional 5400rpm harddrive, as this will make a much bigger difference in performance than you would ever think, maybe even as much as having a faster proc. Not quite sure.

Another thing: The 12" iBook doesn't have the option of placing a Superdrive into it, only the 14" iBook and Powerbook line do. And I'm not even sure if bluetooth is an option, although you can get an external one (not built internally). So if a 12" iBook + 1GB RAM stick + BT + Superdrive is what you were after, I think you better think of another option.

5. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

Last I checked Bluetooth..could be built into the inside of the ibook..but only when ordering..could be wrong though..

6. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

i too am courious what monitors can be hooked up to the 12" rev C-

7. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Any brand display with a DVI connector, or a VGA connector when using a DVI-VGA adaptor (included with Powerbook), or Apple display using a DVI-ADC adaptor.

So practically any display will work.

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

any display will work with the 12" powerbook. i use a 17" apple lcd at my apartment, a 17" CRT at my parents house (it even recognizes the make of this 7 year old gateway monitor...it's color profiles, resolutions, etc, bizarre - in an oh so good way)...and my friends analog 19" Dell LCD (what a horrendously pixelated picture).

any monitor will work, in fact i'd go as far as to say the 12" is friendly towards any display BUT apple's which require a $100 adapter.

9. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Normally id say go with the IBook simply because of the huge difference in price and the very slighty difference in features!

But since you're a graphics pro you'll probably be needing a better graphics card, resolusion, faster CPU etc. so go with the PowerBook, it'll cost you more but better safe than sorry!

Also, you said you wanted the superdrive - this isnt available on the 12" IBook. Even as a built to order option so there isn't much choice if your dont want to compramise on this feature :).

Enjoy the new PowerBook,

Mark.

10. weese thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank u all

Hi there,

Well, my mistake about the superdrive :eek:

I think I will go with Powerbook 12", 768MB , and 5400rpm harddrive BUT no superdrive :p

And 1 more question:
    How can I make sure the powerbook is been upgraded to 5400rpm harddrive?
    Is it by seeing the total harddrive space to be 80G? :confused:

11. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Not really sure what your asking but if you're using Apples online store just select the HD (and other) specs you want from the dropdown list and they'll do it all for you :). You'll then be sent an invoice with the specs you ordered so you can check everything is in order and sort it out with Apple if it isn't.

If you mean how do you check that it actually has been updated and Apple aint scamming you then somone else will have to field this one since im pretty new to Mac.

Handy that, enjoy!

Mark.