Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stromfoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
I will be a college freshman this fall and can't decide whether to get a 12" Powerbook with Superdrive, or a 14" iBook with Superdrive. If I got an iBook and upgraded the GB to 80 and upgraded the MB to 512, I would have basically the same computer as the Powerbook. Except that the iBook only has 1.33GHz and the Powerbook 1.5GHz, and the Powerbook's screen would obviously be smaller. I don't want to spend $300 more for a 15" Powerbook either. Is a 12" screen too small? How much faster is the Powerbook? Which should I buy? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
12" screen is AWESOME
Get the PowerBook, you don't need the bigger screen (you don't see ANYTHING more, it's the exact same picture as you'd see the on the PB 12")

Get the PowerBook!!

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
the 14" ibook's screen will be easier on the eyes. it will also be slower (slower RAM, slower hard drive, worse video card -- not core image compatible, and slower processor). the 12" powerbook will be noticeably faster.

we should be seeing ibook updates soon, though, and you will probaby be better off getting one of the new ibooks as the high end model will be as fast as the current 12" powerbook.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
stromfoo said:
I will be a college freshman this fall and can't decide whether to get a 12" Powerbook with Superdrive, or a 14" iBook with Superdrive. If I got an iBook and upgraded the GB to 80 and upgraded the MB to 512, I would have basically the same computer as the Powerbook. Except that the iBook only has 1.33GHz and the Powerbook 1.5GHz, and the Powerbook's screen would obviously be smaller. I don't want to spend $300 more for a 15" Powerbook either. Is a 12" screen too small? How much faster is the Powerbook? Which should I buy? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Everyone on here salivates at the thought of the 12" screen, but you really ought to try them both out before you decide. I think the 12" screen is convienent and "cute," but unfortunately, I think it's too cramped and uncomfortable on the eyes. I don't want to have to wear glasses later on and become a Mac supernerd because I stuck with the model that wasn't the best for my eyes/visiion.

Wait till tomorrow though, in case the iBook line is updated, you may have more choices to choose from.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I LOVE my 12" PowerBook. I like the keyboard a lot more than the iBook keyboard, its less springy and more firm. The PB also has a better video card which you would want to run Tiger. Although the iBook has the 14" LCD, it has the same resolution as the 12" so your not really gaining any screen real estate, everything is just bigger. The powerbook also has the "sidetrack" trackpad feature, SuddenMotion HD sensor, DVI out, and won't scratch as easily as the iBook.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
Unless we see some really good updates later today, the 12" Powerbook is going to be mine. It is well worth the extra money

1. Faster Harddrive, CPU, RAM, Bus,
2. Better Video card
3. Keyboard is better
4. Sudden Motion protection on Harddrive
5. Better outputs
6. Screen spanning without hack.
7. Able to run in calmshell mode.

Hopefully after the iBook and Mini is updated, we will see the PowerBook updated in the next few weeks. It is hitting the Average of 6 months next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.