Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keith Purfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I want to get a new computer (don't know why, since I just got this iMac in December). That would mean I'd be selling my iMac to pay off the loan I took to pay for it. That was about $1700, which my parents limited me to paying.

I could get a 12" PowerBook when they get upgraded (hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday), or would it be better to work for $300 more and get a G5?

I tend to use a lot of programs like Photoshop and Illustrator and the like, so that's a plus for the G5. Portability isn't a HUGE deal for me, but it'd be nice.

I don't know why. I mean, if I could afford the 1.8GHz or the 2.0GHz G5s, I'd buy it right away, but for some reason, the 1.6GHz doesn't look as good to me (different RAM, lack of PCI-X, etc.). But it's still a big leap up from my current computer (G4 iMac, 800MHz), with even greater upgradability.

I guess I'm looking more towards the G5, for it's sheer beauty (and to mock my school's computer club :p). I don't really know what PCI-X does, exactly, and I probably don't care about it, seeing as I rarely have money to upgrade anyway.

If I were to get the G5, what would you suggest I add (I'd switch the SuperDrive to a Combo Drive for better CD-R burning speed, I never use this iMac's SuperDrive for burning DVDs, anyway)?

Upgrade RAM to 512MB (or 1GB, if I could get enough money).
Upgrade video card to a 9800 Pro (again, if I could get money).
Add AirPort and Bluetooth (AirPort would be good, and Bluetooth from a BTO would be on the motherboard, so it'd lack the adapter).
Get a 19" CRT (a new one. My parents have an older 19" CRT that I could use, but it flickers).
Other?

If you have any other suggestions, don't hesitate to state them.

Thanks,
Keith

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well first before you get excited, tell us your needs and wants, and how important mobility is to you.

iJon

Keith Purfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I did.

"I tend to use a lot of programs like Photoshop and Illustrator and the like, so that's a plus for the G5. Portability isn't a HUGE deal for me, but it'd be nice."

I guess I just want something faster than my current computer, because it tends to get slow when I have the programs I want open at the same time.

[EDIT] Oh yeah. Can the G5 use slower RAM than the DDR333 128-bit SDRAM, or does it HAVE to be that kind? I've got a lot of RAM lying around, and if I can use that RAM, then I can scratch that off the upgrade list.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Originally posted by Keith Purfield
I did.

"I tend to use a lot of programs like Photoshop and Illustrator and the like, so that's a plus for the G5. Portability isn't a HUGE deal for me, but it'd be nice."

I guess I just want something faster than my current computer, because it tends to get slow when I have the programs I want open at the same time.

[EDIT] Oh yeah. Can the G5 use slower RAM than the DDR333 128-bit SDRAM, or does it HAVE to be that kind? I've got a lot of RAM lying around, and if I can use that RAM, then I can scratch that off the upgrade list.

No it can't.

I would tell you to get the one you can afford. Don't look beyond and wish for what you may not be able to afford. To be truly honest, I wouldn't get rid of your iMac to get a G5. If you NEED the portability of the PowerBook that's a different story all together. The G5 is "the next greatest thing" but it does not mean that your iMac is suddenly slow. If your iMac is still running perfect I'd give it a bit longer to work for you before you just cast it aside. I love my iMac still and it is a great desktop computer and I didn't need to get another monitor. If you go to a G5... you are not going to get enuff for your iMac to pay off you loan plus you're going to have to come up with quite a bit more to get into it. Not to mention you will need to buy a new monitor. I'd rather have an iMac with an LCD than a G5 with a CRT...

I realise that having the newest coolest thing is desirable (to me too honestly), and we'd all love to have G5's but chances are good that your iMac is perfectly good for what you are doing and I think you could do better to save the money over the next year and then sell your iMac.

I don't meant to burst your bubble but I don't think you should buy either just yet.

MacBoyX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.