12" PowerBook RAM upgrade.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Adokimus, Apr 23, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

3. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's a PC2700 SODIMM you want, correct.

I still think it's worth it to get one that is Mac tested, from a reputable dealer. At least check first to see if you can return it for full refund (no restocking, no shipping charges) if it doesn't work.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Ok, I am super confused... the Crucial brand RAM has the right specs, but I checked some of the lower reviews and a few were from mac users who said that it was not compatible. One reviewer recommended the Transcend brand, saying that it was the original used in powerbooks. I checked the reviews for that RAM and one person said it caused kernal panics with their 12" PB running leopard.

So, I think I am between g.skill and kingston...

Anyone have experience with either of those two brands?

THANKS!!

5. macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Kingston's very reputable, haven't heard of the other brand though. :)

6. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you go with the Kingston, get the KTA- series RAM.. Don't get the Kingston ValueRAM KVR- series.

Apple has never used Transcend as an OEM. It's fine, generic RAM, just the information that it was used by Apple is wrong.

G.skill is generic RAM, so the same caveats apply -- if it isn't guaranteed compatible by the seller, then you may have to return for refund if it doesn't work. If you are in the US have a look at OWC or Data Memory Systems ($59) for RAM that is guaranteed correct for your machine.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Why shouldn't I get the ValueRAM? Now I'm super worried cause I already ordered it.

8. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There have been numerous cases of ValueRAM being incompatible with G4 and G5 machines. Whether it will work in yours is a toss-up.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Aww poop. Well, since I already ordered it I'm going to wait and try it out. Newegg is pretty good about returns, but I may have to try OWC or that g.skill RAM.

Thanks