12" PowerBook RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Magickmas, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Magickmas macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    Hey guys, I am buying a powerbook and was wondering how easy it was to install RAM yourself. Given the high prices at the Apple store I was looking into buying some from Kingston and just installing it on my own once the system arrived.

Any reports as to the ease of doing this would be most welcome.
  2. thrillz3 macrumors member

Apr 10, 2004
    I haven't done it yet, but will soon.

I'm getting a 512 Stick (BTW, guys- Crucial.com recommends something else, but I have $50 in certificates at buy.com. This will work, right? )

The manual says all you have to do is unscrew 4 screws, pop in the RAM, and put the bottom plate back on. Not hard at all.
  3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    it's very easy to install ram in an apple laptop. it took me about 5 minutes for my iBook
  4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    I just installed a 512MB stick into my PB today and it was very fast and easy. You just have to have a small enough screwdriver. Now my PB flies. The dock icons used to take about 6 hops to open Word/PPT with 256MB before it opened and now with 768MB RAM, it took 1 hop and opened instantly.

I ordered my RAM from Crucial on Monday at 10:00 PM, and it arrived today (Wednesday) with free 2 day shipping from UPS. I highly recommend Crucial.

Best wishes,