12" Powerbook RevA 10.3.2 Fan Issue?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tgorochowski, Jan 13, 2004.

1. tgorochowski macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    I have upgraded to 10.3.2 recently and have found that the fan (processor i'm guessing) come on a lot more when doing either processor intensive tasks or writing large amount to the HDD.

I have tried a clean install but the problem (I think it is one) is still there :(.

Have others found this happening?

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    check out the apple discussion forums at http://discussions.info.apple.com/

in the 12-in powerbook forum (look under "usage"), there's a huge (111 posts) thread on this issue. as i understand it, 10.3.2 lowers the temperature threshold at which your fan will come on. so, it will come on earlier than usual (at a lower temperature) and will work harder to keep your processor at that lower temperature. i have temperature monitor installed on my 12" and my fan comes on around 140 degrees in 10.2.8. off the top of my head (i could be remembering this wrong), the temperature threshold is around 120 degrees in 10.3.2.

not that the fan on my rev A 12" is that loud (it's way quieter than the one in my husband's dell laptop), but i'm not quite sure i'm ready for that with the upgrade to panther. in that thread i mentioned above, someone posteda link to a way to actually revise the software commands that govern the fan to change the threshold temperature. needless to say, you could do some serious damage if you don't do it right, and i'm not that comfortable with unix/the terminal to even think about trying that. but it is an option...

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    there are apps recommended in that thread, one i think is Silent Night which changes the settings back to before 10.3.2
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    i've noticed the fan coming on sooner than before and figured it must have been due to some system changes. it's still very quiet so i haven't thought of it as a "problem" - and it looks like it isn't.