12" Powerbook Startup Time

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by yogi477, Feb 28, 2003.

1. yogi477 macrumors regular

My 12" PB seems to be taking ages at the initial Apple bit where you see the gray apple at the startup screen then loads at normal speed when th aqua stuff kicks in. Can someone post a comparison so I can see just how slow it is or some possible fixes if this is the case. Thanks in advance

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I have an IBook 800 and i know what your talking about. Since you can really let your mac sleep you don't need to restart it so those times shouldn't be a big deal. I'm starting to think tho especially compared to xp, its no big deal.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: 12" Powerbook Startup Time

what's the wallclock time from chime to login screen?

4. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

my 800 mhz iMac boots up really really slow too, during the gray apple logo screen. it only takes about 2 or 3 seconds once it hits the aqua blue screen, though. i usually leave my computer on all the time, so that i don't have to wait long when i want to use it.

5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I believe that is the time when the system is running self-tests and then fsck -y.

6. yogi477 thread starter macrumors regular

Startup Time

From chime to aqua screen is a massive 1min 15 secs then about 5 or 10 secs to the desktop after that. Is there any way to bring this down, I know what you mean about XP I was surprised how fast it started up, it still looks like something Fisher-Price invented though :)

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Startup Time

from chime to login screen my ibook (800/640) takes 1:18.

if you want to see what is happening during startup, you can boot in verbose mode. hold down apple-v until you see the text scrolling.

contrary to what a previous poster said, i do _not_ see fsck being run (though things scroll by pretty fast, so forgive me if i missed it).

my system sat for a good 15-20 seconds initializing the airport driver. which makes sense, 'cuz i seem to recall my ibook boot times being a minute when i first got it (w/o airport).

8. applefan macrumors regular

12" pb start up

i also think the start up of my 12" pb is a little slow. 80 seconds from chime to aqua then 15 more to desktop but i have a couple of small start up apps like palm desktop background and transport manager. i also use an airport, and i never realized that slows the start up.

9. yogi477 thread starter macrumors regular

No Airport

I have no airport so I dunno what is going on there do you think future releases will fix it eg. before 10.3?

10. MightyB macrumors member

I have found that mine varies...sometimes it takes over a minute...other times it is 45 seconds....

11. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

the computer will run fsck if it hasn't been properly shut down (a lot like OS 9 did with Disk First Aid, except it does it without telling you.)

my iBook starts up quickly, but takes longer to shut down than my PowerMac.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The hang at startup is usually due to there being a network option chosen in preferences but not available at startup. The hang can also be simply due to the network being established but usually due to unavailabilty. Say you are set up to connect to a local network but you aren't currently physically connected.

Another possibility for startup and system slow down (so I have been told, I haven't actually tested this) is in the Directory Access application. Go to the utilities folder and open directory access. Under the Services tab see if NetInfo is checked, if it is uncheck it. This should speed everything up. By default on most systems this is unchecked but for some reason it get's checked on a few systems.