12" Powerbook still worth buying?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by extraextra, Aug 9, 2006.

1. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I'm lost. I want a MBP but the size puts me off a little. A new enclosure would be nice but it still looks great. The size of the Macbook is fine, but I'm not a big fan of the plastic enclosure or glossy screen. I'm sloppy and my idea of cleaning a screen is licking my finger and smudging the dirt around (classy, I know), that seems like it'd ruin the glossy screen. I don't really have the patience to bust out my microfiber cloth and iKlear and spend 15 minutes cleaning the thing.

So the compromise I came to was - buy a 12" Powerbook! Smaller than the Macbook and looks of the MBP. I travel to places and I also go to college so it seems like the perfect choice. However, it's somewhat old technology and I have no idea how long it'd last me. (I'd be buying one of the newer revisions of it though, D or E)

I don't do too much with my computers. I use the internet, type papers (lots of papers), download/save lots of files, and do some Photoshop here and there, nothing overly extensive. I don't play games.

If I buy a refurb Powerbook through Apple, what OS is it likely to ship with? Panther? Also, what's the max as far as RAM goes, 2GB? And lastly, how long can I expect it to last? At least 3 years I'm hoping?

Thank you for any help.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd say that you would be fine with a 12" powerbook because your needs are no demanding. And if your apps don't change then the computer could last you a very long time. If you bought the last revision of the 12" Powerbook then it would come with Tiger. The max RAM is 1.25GB according to mactracker.

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Well let me tell you that I had a 12" PB, and I sold it to buy a MBP. I couldnt be happier with that decision. At first I also thought that the 15" screen was way too big, and that the 12" was perfect for me. Boy was I wrong. I LOVE my MBP now, and I can never go back to a 12" screen. I was in the apple store last night, and even the new MB with 13" was way too small. If you get a 12'' PB, the most ram you can put in it is 1.25 GB. It should ship with Tiger 10.4, and if it doesnt I'll be shocked. My best advice to you is the saying I say with the move to intel now "Why take a step backwards, when apple is taking a step forward?"...

Also think about the MBP and its benefits: iSight, Backlit keyboard, Magsafe, its alot thinner, etc. etc.

4. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

1199$ for the refurb superdrive PB.:eek: MB definitely holds much more value for money in comparison. But since you might never use all the extra power MB will offer you, I guess PB might be a better choice for you. Just be sure that you wont be tempted by the intel MB/MBP in the near future. Coz in that case you wont get much by selling this PB. There will be very few takers of a PB after 6-8 months.

5. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

My work bought me a MB. After two weeks, I started using my 12in PB. Office runs much better as does Adobe CS. When UB versions ship that might change. The keyboard on the MB also drives me nuts (arrow keys don't work well - seems to be a common short-coming). The glossy screen is sometimes cool, but sometimes works against you. Anyway, for the present, I much prefer the 12in PB.

6. kmarketing macrumors 6502

I was in a similar situation. I thought about buying a macbook, but the plastic casing and the wear that will get on them really was a turn off. The macbook pros, to me were just too big for me. And after owning a 15" and 17" powerbook, the 12" is just perfect for me.

Sure the 12" is not as powerful, but for my needs it was perfect. Plus since the applications I use and already own work great I won't have to spend even more money to get the optimal performance of the macbook/macbook pros.

But I think here is the key... I bought my mint 12" powerbook (1.33, 1.25gb, 60gb, combo) for $600. I think that's a great deal. I look at how much I would have to spend on upgrading to a macbook (at least double that) and its just not worth it to me right now. So my advice is to look around for a used one and try to get a good deal. As you near the $1000 mark, the best decision is probably to move towards a macbook.

But if you do find a 12" powerbook for a decent price, snatch it up and enjoy. It really is the perfect match for someone who likes to be one the move with their laptop. And if you can keep the finish and casing in good shape, it is probably the most beautiful notebook/laptop on the market.

Good Luck!

7. extraextra thread starter macrumors 68000

extraextra

I don't know if I will buy it from Apple yet. Craigslist has some for around $700 in my area, but they all come with 30 extra programs I don't need like Final Cut Pro, Motion, etc.

8. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

You can probably find a very good 12 inch powerbook on craigslist/ebay for 650-800 dollars. I sold mine for $800 and have regretted its departure. It is an amazing little machine and I say it could last you for at least 3 more years and maybe more! Good luck with your purchase

9. kmarketing macrumors 6502

You can always remove the programs then.

But I think used (but in perfect working order) is the best route for a powerbook. And you'll be able to test it out. It's just too expensive to order from Apple for them.

Good Luck!

10. buddhagoth macrumors newbie

My 12" PB is serving me very well, and if you could pick one up for $700 or thereabouts, you'd have a great deal on a great machine, especially if it's covered by AppleCare.

After a year with my 12" PB, I can say it's an excellent machine. When it comes time to upgrade in a few years, I'd have to go with a new Mac Book, not the Pro, because for my uses, a 12-13" screen is perfect and a 15" is just too big for the amount of travelling and "close-quarters" work I have to do.

Either way, though, I think it'd be hard to go wrong with the recent PB's or the new MacBooks/Pros.

Cordially,
    B.G.

11. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

Well, from the looks of it, you're going to be using the computer for a 'basic' student's needs. You could even buy a used or refurbished iBook from Apple. It's RAM is upgradable to 1.5GB (.25 more than the PowerBook) and I'm sure a 1.33GHz processor is a good amount for thos programs you plan to use.

If you buy refurbished from Apple, both iBooks/PowerBooks will be shipped with 10.4 Tiger. You can expect the iB/PB to last approx. (I'd say) 3 years.

12. extraextra thread starter macrumors 68000

extraextra

I already have an iBook (it's an older model though 1Ghz, 256MB RAM). :p Nothing but an eyesore, to say the least! It's also slow. I bought it in early 2005 to tide me over till I bought a 12" PB, which I was going to do this summer. I didn't think Apple would get rid of it completely. (btw, good job Apple! :mad: )

I'm leaning towards the PB more now, thanks guys! I still have another month or two to mull it over, I'll have to see if Apple has any surprises.

13. kmarketing macrumors 6502

As a previous ibook owner, it's actually tough for me to go back to an ibook or even macbook when I've had the aluminum powerbooks. That may be just my personal taste, but it really feels like a downgrade to go from the aluminum feel to the plastic.

If the black mabooks would not exhibit wear as much as they do, I would have gone that route, or if the laptops were like the sleek vaios. But until things get straigtened out, I'm extremely happy to have my powerbook.

14. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

I was hoping Apple released a 12" model when they released the MBP. The size is just perfert for people on the go like myself, plus I would have been able to get a 20" ACD for home use. I saw someone using the 12" PB, and I was sad I couldn't get that size in the MBP. I'm very happy with the MBP, but I can understand why you would want a 12" PB. Check the apple refub. site and make sure you getting a good deal. You might want to check with Comp USA :rolleyes: to see if they have any deals.

15. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

buy it, the macbook is huge, 5.2 pounds and it's ONLY A 13 INCH screen.

look what lenovo, dell, and hp are doing in the same weight class.

16. danny_w macrumors 601

I've seen those ads including FCP, Motion, etc. They're scams! Beware! Deal with a local seller face-to-face only and check out the machine. These ads are never local and want your money by wire transfer (they don't say it up front, but just reply to one of them). I only deal with ads that list my city and I can see the merchandise in person. There are some very good deals on craigslist, but you must know what to avoid.

17. extraextra thread starter macrumors 68000

extraextra

Oh man, thanks you guys. I'm pretty much 95% convinced a 12" PB is right for me. Thanks for all the buying tips as well!

It does ship with Tiger, they had it written in the tiniest font possible on the Apple refurb page so I didn't notice it. I was probably thinking of the older PB's that came with Panther.

Btw, does the Powerbook come with a built-in modem? Or will I have to buy a cable?

18. kmarketing macrumors 6502

They come with modems built in. Another plus!

19. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

I love my 12" pb, I just bought it in march knowing there would be upgrades/macbooks whatever, if the choice is between pb and mbp I´d go mbp all the way but I wouldnt trade my rev d powerbook for a Macbook thats for sure! The powerbook feels really solid and well put together whereas the macbooks fell plasticky and flimsy IMO. I also felt that I just dont have the time to deal with all the rev a ******** like mooing, heat and so on. Whatever you choose I hope your happy with it and it serves you well! ;)

http://static.flickr.com/94/210316841_86c6ed7b5b_o.jpg :)