12" PowerBook to be EOL'd?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wowoah, Aug 12, 2005.

1. wowoah macrumors regular

Although everyone seems to be discussing the new PowerBook updates outlined by the recent AppleInsider article, no one in that thread seems to have picked up on this tidbit:

What does that mean exactly? Is the 12-inch PB going to be EOL'd? I always thought the 12-inch was one of the best-selling Macs, so that doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Would they then step-up the 12-inch iBook? What does anyone think?

I'm close to buying a new 12-inch PB so I'm interested in hearing what you all think about this. Look forward to the discussion! :)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That almost seems to be the implication....

I hope it isn't true. I think Apple's light-and-thin portfolio is a major strenght. I don't think I would have bought an Apple notebook if the 12"-ers hadn't existed...I would've gotten a small Thinkpad or possibly a VAIO instead.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I am buying a new 12" Powerbook tomorrow for tax free day ^^. So i don't really care what they do as long as i get my powerbook

4. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I picked up on that to and posted it in the thread and got like one comment besides mine last time i checked. Yeah Im going to be shocked/pissed of they EOL it! I can [sorta] see if they wanted to when intel chips come out so they can have the powerbooks be beastly machines but for the PPC powerbooks I think that would be a horable move.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Why would it be ok if they even did it for the intel PBs? Is no one going to want a professional super portable computer?

6. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Maybe the iBooks would be fast enough and small enough not to warrant a 12in PB..

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

But i would want the dual monitor (without the hack) a faster FSB, the better video card, and the DVI.

So unless the iBook 12" got that, i would be pissed.

8. wowoah thread starter macrumors regular

Could we be misinterpreting the rumor? Maybe it means that they had intended of scrapping the 12" in its current incarnation and completely revamping it in some way, or replacing it with a wide-screen 13"? I honestly have a hard time believing that Apple would get rid of the 12" PB. It fills a much needed gap in the line and it's still one of their best selling Macs.

9. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I'm more concerned about the price. The only reason I bought the 12 inch PB was that I couldn't afford $2000 for the 15 inch, the 12 inch was the cheapest PB I could afford and a good value for the money. If they phase out the 12 inch I hope they lower the price on the 15.

10. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Amen to that. If they don't give the iBook hardware support for screen spanning and make clamshell mode possible then they are going to lose a lot of customers. For many people, the ultimate setup is a 12" powerbook with an external display :eek:

11. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I have the 12in superdrive powerbook and its great. if I had the choice of any of the powerbook line for free I'd choose the 12in everytime.

I cannot understand apple EOL'ing it, that seems a very wierd decision!