Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
mootpoint said:
Far from being "scary" I find pictures of setups/sizes most helpful when making decisions. Other users experiences weigh things up for me and, believe it or not, these forums are here to help/advise people.

That's the reason that i did it. I wanted detailed pics of the ports on the side, or the iCurve and its height elevation. Or the relative side of the apple keyboard. It has helped my friends switch a whole lot easier than the standard product pics from apple...

BigDogg

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
TN
I say 15 inch all the way BabY! More real estate for internet / other
apps is a big plus.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
see... now I'm leaning towards a 12" PB mainly because I want a laptop that WONT be my main computer and that I can port around to WiFi spots...

what really is the difference in terms of ethernet speed between the two? (12" vs. 15") wouldnt it depend on your connection?

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Southbridge said:
see... now I'm leaning towards a 12" PB mainly because I want a laptop that WONT be my main computer and that I can port around to WiFi spots...

what really is the difference in terms of ethernet speed between the two? (12" vs. 15") wouldnt it depend on your connection?

It does. The 15" offers gigabit (10/100/1000 BASE-T) ethernet if you have something to plug it into that's spitting out at those speeds. The 12" offers only 10/100 BASE-T. For that type of connection there is no difference.

Do you mean WiFi speed difference? Officially, there is none, and any you hear reported are probably not major and depend on individual circumstances.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
_pb_boi said:
Which begs the question; why are you so critical? I doubt many of us care too much whether you buy your way into the 'cult' or not. If he wants pics of his computer, let him. If I spent that money, I'd want pics - and have damn well taken pics - to remember the thing by. It won't be around forever. His reason is a fine one.

andy.

I dunno... I just feel dirty looking at his mac in various poses...

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
CaptainCaveMann said:
How easily does the aluminum pb dent?

If you don't bang it into things, it doesn't.

But seriously, all anyone can tell you is what happened in certain situations, not what exactly will happen in your potential situation. No one can answer your question with any kind of surety, they can only speak from their unique experience. Most of the dents I hear about come from dropping. If you want to read more such stories, there are plenty in this forum.

Like any laptop, made of anything, if you hit/drop/kick/whatever it, it's not going to like it. I think that's the best thing about this anyone can tell you.

Man, you've been asking a lot of questions ... not that there's anything wrong with that. When are you just going to take the plunge? After a few recent posts about clamshell mode, I thought you got an iBook already?

Edit:
I just found a post of yours in a thread from earlier this month where you say the AlBook "dents much to easily." There you have it! We macrumors regulars are never mistaken, I swear.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
mcgarry said:
If you don't bang it into things, it doesn't.

But seriously, all anyone can tell you is what happened in certain situations, not what exactly will happen in your potential situation. No one can answer your question with any kind of surety, they can only speak from their unique experience. Most of the dents I hear about come from dropping. If you want to read more such stories, there are plenty in this forum.

Like any laptop, made of anything, if you hit/drop/kick/whatever it, it's not going to like it. I think that's the best thing about this anyone can tell you.

Man, you've been asking a lot of questions ... not that there's anything wrong with that. When are you just going to take the plunge? After a few recent posts about clamshell mode, I thought you got an iBook already?

Edit:
I just found a post of yours in a thread from earlier this month where you say the AlBook "dents much to easily." There you have it! We macrumors regulars are never mistaken, I swear.
Whats your point? Is that any of your business? I said it dented to easily based on what people tell me. Im always wanting new input from new people. There you have it. Sherlock. :rolleyes: Yes i have a 12 inch ibook how many times must i confirm that. Do you want pics of me standing next to it? Do you want pics of me? lol Dude get over it and stay off my nutz.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
CaptainCaveMann said:
Whats your point? Is that any of your business? I said it dented to easily based on what people tell me. Im always wanting new input from new people. There you have it. Sherlock. :rolleyes: Yes i have a 12 inch ibook how many times must i confirm that. Do you want pics of me standing next to it? Do you want pics of me? lol Dude get over it and stay off my nutz.

Just trying to help. Posting lots of questions over many months in a public forum makes it all of our business ... seriously, nothing wrong with that. No nutz involved. No pix necessary.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
mcgarry said:
Just trying to help. Posting lots of questions over many months in a public forum makes it all of our business ... seriously, nothing wrong with that. No nutz involved. No pix necessary.
Anyone that gos back to find a members posts, seriously has way to much time on their hands. It shows a form of criticalism(if thats a word) in a person that is really annoying. I dont do that to anyone on this site since ive been a member. Im honestly to lazy and i honestly dont care. If someone wants to ask the same question 50 different ways, so be it. Ill get annoyed at 51. ;)

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
CaptainCaveMann said:
Anyone that gos back to find a members posts, seriously has way to much time on their hands. It shows a form of criticalism(if thats a word) in a person that is really annoying. I dont do that to anyone on this site since ive been a member. Im honestly to lazy and i honestly dont care. If someone wants to ask the same question 50 different ways, so be it. Ill get annoyed at 51. ;)

Normally, I would agree. But in this case I simply searched this forum for the word "toughness" (try for yourself if you want; it's the first result since it's recent) to find instances where I knew people had discussed PB denting. Your post turned up in one of the threads. I was not searching for posts by you, but I did find it odd that an answer to your question came from ... you, so I mentioned it in my post.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
mcgarry said:
Normally, I would agree. But in this case I simply searched this forum for the word "toughness" (try for yourself if you want; it's the first result since it's recent) to find instances where I knew people had discussed PB denting. Your post turned up in one of the threads. I was not searching for posts by you, but I did find it odd that an answer to your question came from ... you, so I mentioned it in my post.
Maybe, but i wasnt asking myself. I was asking others, not even specifically you. In context, that was not an answer to my post.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
CaptainCaveMann said:
Maybe, but i wasnt asking myself. I was asking others, not even specifically you. In context, that was not an answer to my post.

???
OK

I know you weren't asking yourself. It's just not everyday you see someone answering a question in one thread and asking it in another, in that order .... you have to admit, if you stumbled across something like this you might find it a bit odd. So in the context of actually doing my best to answer your question with the bulk ofmy post (I am part of "others" here), I mentioned it as an addendum. No offense intended. No big deal.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
mcgarry said:
???
OK

I know you weren't asking yourself. It's just not everyday you see someone answering a question in one thread and asking it in another, in that order .... you have to admit, if you stumbled across something like this you might find it a bit odd. So in the context of actually doing my best to answer your question with the bulk ofmy post (I am part of "others" here), I mentioned it as an addendum. No offense intended. No big deal.
I wasnt answering my question. Maybe i wasnt specific enough. My question should have been "Do you guys think the aluminum pb dents to easily? Why or why not?" Is that better for you? That wasnt my question but thats what i meant.

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
I love my 17"...dont think it's too big to carry around. But mostly i use it as a mobile desk top computer. (Travel for work...)

I don't think that the albooks dent easy...In the year I've had mine, never dented it, and just a minor scratch or two. (Wow, I've been a Mac user for a year now. Actually, a year yesterday!!!! Happy Mac B-day to me!!) :D

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
I was happy with my 17" crt till I got the 20" LCD.

Thank for that.

Might consider that then but the 15" still look's nice with the 3"extra wide inches ;)
And is the PC card slot+ FW 800 + 1 RAM slot + gfx go 5200 and the mini DVI a big loss vs the 15" specs :confused:

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
first of all cavemann, you need to slow your roll cause its easy to piss people off in here. Secondly, if you don't like the answers you're getting, don't argue about them, just go somewhere else for them. and last, i've had my PB for almost a month and when it leaves my desk or my iCurve i put it in a PowerSleeve from Radtech.us and then in my padded bag. I don't have any scratches or dents in it anywhere. I'm a college student and my iPod is beat to hell and back... but for some reason my PB seems to be still in pristine condition...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
im a student who carries his PB around every day to no less than 3 campuses. 12" for me. fair play the 15" is faster but its bigger too. if i had endless money but i could only pick one, t'would either be the 12" or the 17" if portability wasnt an issue. and even then if it came to the 17" id rather get an iMac.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
I just got back from CompUSA and nobody here seemed to mention that the resolution on the 12" powerbook screen really sucks... :(

I'm starting to look at the Sony Vaio S360...

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Southbridge said:
I just got back from CompUSA and nobody here seemed to mention that the resolution on the 12" powerbook screen really sucks... :(

I'm starting to look at the Sony Vaio S360...

Yeah, that's normal for a 12", it'd be more worth mentioning if it was somehow abnormal for a 12" to have 1024x768. All the Thinkpad X-series are the same, I believe. The Dell 12" "widescreen" is wider, but so is the laptop itself, not surprisingly. Similar for the 13" Sony. So you're right in general, but in the context of 12"ers, this is normal. If you don't like it, you can of course not get a 12", or live with it on the road and use it with a monitor at home.

For what it's worth, also remember that the Sony won't have Exposé to go with what still is a small screen.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
mcgarry said:
For what it's worth, also remember that the Sony won't have Exposé to go with what still is a small screen.

Honestly I think for me screen resolution/color is a little bit more important than OS/Software...

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Southbridge said:
Honestly I think for me screen resolution/color is a little bit more important than OS/Software...

Of course, to each his own, I wouldn't tell you not to get the Sony. If you don't like PB keyboards and screens, maybe PBs just are not for you. I mentioned Exposé specifically because it lets you sort of cheat on screen area in a way Windows doesn't. This forum has many accounts of switchers who are in love with it, esepcially for what it can do on smaller screens. Just a thought.

The Sony in consideration-- if I'm reading its page correctly-- offers no internal DVD-burner (external available for $400 from Sony) and has a 1GB RAM ceiling (and Sony's in-house RAM upgrade option makes Apple look inexpensive). All retailing for $1900 to start. But if you need it's keyboard and screen, that's what you need, or something else more like it. No problem with that.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
mcgarry said:
Of course, to each his own, I wouldn't tell you not to get the Sony. If you don't like PB keyboards and screens, maybe PBs just are not for you.

The Sony in consideration-- if I'm reading its page correctly-- offers no internal DVD-burner (external available for $400 from Sony) and has a 1GB RAM ceiling (and Sony's in-house RAM upgrade option makes Apple look inexpensive). All retailing for $1900 to start. But if you need it's keyboard and screen, that's what you need, or something else more like it. No problem with that.

well... also compusa is having a sale on the S360...

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=317697&pfp=SEARCH

it definately feels and looks better than the 12" powerbook...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.