12" Powerbook updates?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Groovsonic, May 22, 2003.

1. Groovsonic macrumors regular

When and to what do you think the next 12" PowerBook update will be? I am guessing it will be just a minor speedbump to 1ghz. Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I hope they free up the memory slot they are currently soldering 128MB into and let the 12" accomodate 1024 MB. Also if they could go to a DVI connection for monitor support. Would be nice if it vacuumed for me and would do the dishes, was able to take the trash out on garbage day, could achieve world peace, eliminate starvation, etc... but I'd settle for the first two.

3. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

1Ghz Processor...

more initial RAM capacity, say 256 soldered onboard.

1MB Cache...

a 64mb graphics card of some sort...

Same price as well since the processors being used ain't state of the art either.
    also i would expect the heat issue cleared up.

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I actually believe Apple will do the right thing for once, and solder 256 MB onto the mobo. then we can get up to 768 Mb. 640 is enough for me I guess, but definetly not for others. 768 MB will help a bit.

5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Actually, since the Pbook Jr. can use the 1024 MB DDR sticks, it's current maximum memory is 1152 MB.

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i read a PowerBook timeline a couple of weeks ago from PowerPage.org and they said that the 12" should be updated around November i think it was. you should be able to find some info if you just do a search, the 12" Rev.B has spawned a few threads over the past month.

and about those 1GB RAM sticks, i thought that they weren't compatible with the 12", only the PowerMacs? has anyone tried them out? know any sites that have tested them?

7. Groovsonic thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I think we'd all think those things, but I'd be really happy with 1ghz, 256mb standard (and not 2 128 sticks, either...grr) expandable to more than 640mb, and the DVI connection. Will we really see all three of those things... I doubt it. If we do, I would seriousl consider buying one.

8. Groovsonic thread starter macrumors regular

Do you really think it will be that long? It came out in january. Wouldn't that be a really long time between updates?

9. boxcar macrumors newbie

what about throwing in L3 cache... is that too much to ask?

10. mim macrumors 6502

<SIGH>
    /dreams of level 3 cache/
    <SIGH>

I think we could expect an update about Junish. That's like, now ;)

/dreams some more of L3 cache/

11. wallinbl macrumors regular

No. I ordered one on Saturday (17th), which means that they will be updated next Tuesday (27th) with something that I really want.

12. Groovsonic thread starter macrumors regular

Forgive my ignorance... What does L3 cache do? What does it affect? Why wouldn't they have thrown it in already, since it is already on the other powerbooks?

13. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Plz put a Radeon 9000 with 64mb of ram in the PB that would be so awesome, and have more ram on the mobo, that would make my day. Of course a speed bump and price drop would help too. L3 cache would sweeten the deal.

15. dennis88 macrumors member

I can't wait anymore, I'm buying a 12" powerbook in the shop tomorrow, no matter what you say. :D
    It's here now, and it's damn cool, I don't want to just sit here and wait anymore.

I'm gonna buy it with combo drive, 640mb ram, and if they have an airport extreme card in the shop, I'm gonna buy that too.

The 15" will just be to big for me.

16. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

nice! that's the way it came down for me. i just couldn't wait and i needed a machine. you won't regret it. use it for a year and then sell it. that's what i always do.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think that if they added L3 Cache, it would make all the difference in the world in performance. A 1GHz processor and more RAM is a nice touch, though. They couldn't possibly have an update with simply added L3. I say L3 and a 1GHz cpu will make me happy.

18. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

L3 cache is memory for the proc itself (different from RAM). There is L1 and L2 (usually on the proc itself) and then L3 on the motherboard. Lx cache usually runs at either full or 1/2 speed of the proc. Small but fast. L3 is a huge help for Large file manipulation (typical in Photoshop and other Altivec enabled apps).

19. t^3 macrumors regular

That powerpage.org timeline also said that we would have the new 15" PowerBook this Monday (19th), so obviously, this timeline should be taken with a grain of salt.

20. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

he he :)

i forgot what that timeline said about the 15" PowerBooks, but considering that i guess that waiting till November for the 12" PB's might be a bit much. but i don't think that the 12" will be updated in July, that's just too soon. i think Apple can milk the current 12" for a bit longer.

also, it looks like you can use those 1GB DDR RAM modules with the 12" PB. thanks for the link. :D

21. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

22. ddtlm macrumors 65816

I say don't expect a faster G4 till the 7457... the AluBook-12 is plenty hot enough already, or so they say, and Apple certainly won't be redesigning the cooling system so soon after release.