12" PowerBook: What to do?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AaronC, Oct 22, 2005.

1. AaronC macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2005
    Q: I've been holding off for a few weeks on purchasing a 12" PowerBook because all the rumors circulating that the line was being upgrading. I've decided that this computer is right for my needs (over say, the 15" PBook or 12" iBook) because of the portability and superdrive. I was a bit disappointed then to discover that the 15" and 17" models were tweeked while the 12" was not. Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not it's worth waiting a few more months to see of some similar upgrades will be built into the 12" or if I should just go for it? (As far as I can tell the last upgrade was 1/05). Thanks for your thoughts...
  2. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2005
    I was not only disappointed by that.... but also disappointed by the fact that there still is no G5 Powerbook and probobably never will be.

Never the less, I love my 12" PB and won't get another until the Intel line has come out.
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    If you keep waiting, you'll never get a laptop.

My recommendation would be the 14" iBook or the 15" PowerBook. If you want the smaller size, the 12" PowerBook has a better screen than the 12" iBook.
  4. other macrumors 6502

Aug 18, 2005
    This is not true as far as I know. It's exactly the same screen.
  5. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Oct 1, 2005
    As you I was also waiting for the 12" PB upgrade. Didn't happen.
    So I went with the 15" PB instead.

I don't see another PB upgrade comming anytime soon.
    The 12" didn't recieve any real upgrade, but apple still sees it as an upgrade. It follows the cycle of the 15" and 17".
    So no particular upgrade for the 12" anytime soon.

The next upgrade will be to Intel, but not now or soon.

If you need the thing now, then go and buy. If not then wait.
  6. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    i bought the 12" super back in August for my gf. in fact, i am using it right now while i wait for my new 17" to be shipped to me.

two words: FREAKING AWESOME!

i love this little laptop. you can take it anywhere with you. it runs GREAT for all my apps such as safari, mail, itunes, etc. i run Reason 3.0, a music generating software, and it runs flawless. the 64mb vram is definitely nice as well. the gfx chip may be outdated but that doesn't stop it from being an awesome little laptop.

the people who bitch about the 12" don't know wtf they are talking about. i can personally say i own one of these laptops and it is a beauty. it will compliment the 17" VERY well.

now, to be PERFECTLY honest with you, i would advise you to hold off on buying the 12". i think an update is coming soon. maybe very soon. because they did not update it with the last powerbook updates, i feel like something new is going to come out to replace it. i just have a feeling it will happen soon. apple still has some "great power pc products in the pipeline."

that's my story and i'm sticking to it.
  7. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Oct 1, 2005
    The 12" was updated. Well acording to apple anyway.