Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigevilalien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Chicago, IL
I am running an early 2006 revision 12" Powerbook (the 1.5 ghz with 1.25 GB ram). When I switched my wireless router from a 2wire 802.11b setup to a D-Link 802.11n setup (they're both in the same location in my basement) I noticed that my wireless reception turned to crap. I've always gotten sketchy reception with my Powerbook (damn aluminum case), but I used to be able to get full bars on the second floor and now I can only get service in my kitchen directly above where the router is located. Can anybody help me figure out how to get this to work better?

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
The powerbook only support B, not N. The router is downshifting the signal to be compatible.

bigevilalien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Chicago, IL
Actually, my powerbook does have an airport extreme card, so it should support G. The reason I have the N router is for two other computers in my household that have N cards in them. How does the router "downshifting the signal" affect the range so much when my last router worked just fine. Shouldn't it be better since it supports G as well when my old router only supported B?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.