12" Retina MacBook Air and Low-Price iMac Likely in 2014

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

In an extensive research note covering Apple's product roadmap for 2014, KGI Securities Ming Chi Kuo reiterated expectations that Apple is working on a ultra slim 12" MacBook Air but also revealed a new low-cost iMac in the works.

Kuo's predictions for the 12" MacBook Air match what was leaked in March from a reliable Chinese forum source. The new 12" MacBook Air will "redefine notebook user experience":

- Thinner than current models
    - No fan
    - Buttonless trackpad
    - Higher resolution Display

Kuo first predicted this ultra thin 12" MacBook Air late last year.
    Besides the 12" MacBook Air, Kuo reiterates his earlier claim that a "low-priced" version of the iMac is coming. The new model will help compete with companies such as HP and Lenovo as well as grow market share in Asia.

The 12" MacBook Air is not expected until late 2014, while the low-cost iMac may come mid-year.

Article Link: 12" Retina MacBook Air and Low-Price iMac Likely in 2014
  2. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
    I'm definitely nay-saying the buttonless trackpad

tapping is horrid and prone to accidental clicks
  3. macrumors 68020

Aug 28, 2008
    Beverly, Massachusetts
    I like the physical response of a trackpad with a button.
  4. macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2013
  5. macrumors 6502a

Apr 5, 2010
    One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
    Okay, sure, because apple chases the "low-end".

6. macrumors 68030

Mar 2, 2009
    Make plastic iMacs in the colors of the iPhone 5c. Make the same poster they did to advertise the colored iMac G3's. That would be awesome.
  7. macrumors 601

Jun 26, 2009
    long island NY
    I hope the buttonless trackpad doesn't make it to the Macbook pros because I'm in the market for one this year and i really would hate the lack of button.
  8. macrumors 68000

Jul 23, 2012
    fanless poopbook?, like wth are you going to able to do on that? a handbrake encode would make it xplode
  9. macrumors 601

Aug 17, 2007
    If we throw around enough rumors, one of them is bound to stick. :rolleyes:
  10. macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2013
    Sounds cool, Apple is definitely clinging to the Personal Computer idea, I respect that. Until a tablet as thin as the iPad can handle heavier tasks I'm happy with a laptop :)
  11. macrumors 6502

Feb 19, 2011
    I'm joining in on the not having a button bandwagon, I personally hate having tap to click on.

Infact, on my MBA recently its decided that once in a while when I do tap, its a click, and thats annoying in itself! I think its one of the few things that should not go on a laptop.

Also, no fan - Prepare for kids buying this laptop, running hardcore games and wondering why their machines melted inside.

However a low cost iMac interests me, how would it be done and what would it (not) have?
  12. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2011
    Ming-Chi Kuo should be the next CEO of Apple!
  13. macrumors 65816

May 1, 2012
  14. macrumors 65816

Jan 7, 2014
    Not at all. I only physically click the button when I'm running Windows in parallels 9 and it doesn't recognize my clicks well.

The whole point of the no fan is that it can handle the gaming without the fan. The iPad is a great example of a computer playing games that doesn't need a fan.

Apple didn't chase the low end in this case. They just replaced the iPhone 5 with something cheaper to produce that offered something they never offered before.

People were expecting something different :/

I have no idea what you said... but think of it as an iPad with a physical keyboard, running an OS optimized for it.
  15. macrumors 601

Jun 26, 2009
    long island NY
    The iPad mostly plays old games or games that don't compete with computer level games, Why do you think you only see the old GTA games from the first xbox on the iPad? Running anything remotely new would kill your computer.
  16. macrumors regular

Mar 2, 2008
    Sorry to interrupt, but every day I come here looking for news about the new Mac Mini and every day I see every other single update... iphone, ipad... andriod... imac... macbook air...

Darn it! Where's the Mac Mini updates? I'm in the market for one!
  17. macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2010
    It seems that there are already fanless notebooks on the market. I'm fairly excited about this one simply because if it's true this Air is going to have insane battery life. Apple is already really really good with battery life on most of the mobile lineup.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    No fan? This is definitely SJ's MacBook. Let's hope it's not the "beige toaster" that the Macintosh was eventually nicknamed.

(Yes, I know about the five years of product pipeline...)
  19. macrumors member

Mar 31, 2012
  20. macrumors 65816

May 3, 2013
    Prepare for a no fan notebook not even getting warm. It just won't have the performance to run any of those games.
  21. macrumors 65816

Jan 7, 2014
    Well, let's see what Apple has up it's sleeve with OS XI or OS X 10.10. It may have improved graphics performance and lowered power requirements with the new chips.

This could mean a Macbook that runs games as well as their Windows counterparts.

Plus, games are a waste of time and energy. We could be saving an African child from a live of slavery. Just saying. (and don't take me seriously here lol)
  22. macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2010
    I'm going to go wayy out on the limb and say that the new fan-less Macbook air and iMac will both use a variation of Apple's own A8 chip.
    How else can they make them both fan-less and less expensive?
  23. macrumors demi-god

Jul 8, 2011
    No thanks to the lower cost iMac. What quality or specs are going to be sacrificed in the name of those cost? I do not mind if they do it the way they have with the iPhone 5s & 5c, with keeping the higher end iMac around for those of us who do appreciate it.
  24. macrumors regular

Nov 16, 2012
    I echo this, 110%. People were saying there would be some form of haptic feedback with this kind of trackpad. I do not believe it though.

Other than that; I'm currently running a 11" 2012 Air, 2GHz Core i7 w/ 8GB of RAM & 128GB SSD. I'm just hoping the 12" version retains a 16:9 aspect ratio & MUCH increased graphics performance.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for a Retina Display; but not with integrated graphics. The Air is a solid all-round machine at present; I hope Apple do not duff it up by tunnel-visioniong the Air to be *just* a fancy light Photo editing + Internet browsing machine.
  25. macrumors 68020

Mar 23, 2006
    Cheaper 20" iMac could replace Mac Mini, with new design 24" and 28" models replacing current models. Could launch at WWDC to target education and back to school sales.