12" rev A powerbook g4 superdrive (doesn't take dvd-rw?)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PismoGuy, Jul 1, 2004.

1. macrumors member

My friend has a 12 inch Rev A Powerbook G4 and it seems to have difficulty reading empty dvd-rw's (new one's). If a DVD-RW is burnt on another computer and then played on the 12" it works fine. So, what's up? In the apple system profiler it says that the drive is DVD-R. Does this drive not support RW disks? Is there a Firmware update or something that can enable this option, if available?

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

No the SuperDrive in the Rev A doesn't support burning to -RW media.

You should be able to enable this with a firmware update, check here for an updated firmware version, it'll depend on the actual model you have.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.
    And now for another question: Did any one use this firmware update? How did it go? How risky is it?

4. macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I haven't used it, don't have the Rev A Powerbook. But the firmware has been out for well over a year so I expect any problems have been ironed out by now.

Do a search of their Macintosh forum there should be plenty of discussions about the firmware there.

The important question is do you want the regions free version (RPC-1) or region encoded version (RPC-2), I'd go for RPC-1

Just remember that improperly flashing the drive could damage it, so research the procedure before you do it.

Check out this site for more info of SuperDrive firmware updates.

5. macrumors regular

You are very unlikely to do any damage to your drive with the updates at http://superdrive.cynikal.net as long as you make sure your computer is well ventilated area when you burn - i.e. on a table rather than on a pillow.

Also, don't do long consecutive burns - i.e. burn 4 CDs or 2 DVDs in a row - let the computer cool down a bit afterwards just in case.

From Cynikal:
    If you have the 12" Rev A Powerbook this is the link you want (Region Free & Faster Speed)
    http://superdrive.cynikal.net/files/uj815updates/firmware_uj815_X101.dmg

This update has been around for a long time and I have never heard a bad word about it (really!)

If you are unhappy you can downgrade to the officially supported Apple firmware using this updater:
    http://superdrive.cynikal.net/files/uj815updates/firmware_uj815_D0CB.dmg

Good Luck

doc

6. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

It does make your Disk drive "load" twice after waking from sleep. I had to remove it after that because it was just crazy.

7. macrumors member

powerbookje

I patched my 12" PB rev A with the new firmware and it works perfect for burning DVD-RW and -R at 2X. It's correct, the drive loads 2 times, but I don't care, I can burn -RW's without problems and other 12" 's can't!